Outside of Coverage Map Area/Weak Signal - Any hope in connecting to either of these satellites?

throw

Original poster
Mar 12, 2021
Northeast USA
Hi everyone,

I'm new to FTA and am excited to have found this forum at the beginning of this journey. I'm based in Boston and I am looking to connect to the NSS 12 57°E satellite. However, the coverage maps that I found here clearly leave out Boston and the rest of the Western Hemisphere. From some quick googling, it seems that not all coverage maps are spot on and that it can sometimes be possible to connect when the maps otherwise say you're out of range.

What I'm wondering is if there is any possibility of connecting to NSS 12 from Boston and if so, how would I go about it? How comically big of a satellite dish would it take? I'm guessing the margin for error here doesn't account for the oceans worth of distance between me and the stated coverage area but I thought it'd be worth the ask. I found a similar thread here and am afraid I have no hope in reaching NSS 12 from Boston - possible to connect to below horizon satellite?.

On a related note, I was also looking to connect to Eutelsat 8 West B at 8.0°W. The coverage map here says that Boston is indeed in range on both C and Ku bands, however it seems to be a pretty weak signal. I'm hoping someone can comment on if it would actually be worth the investment in equipment to pick up such a weak signal, and what dish/receiver might be recommended.

I appreciate the time and help in answering my questions!

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!

It does not show North America for NSS-12 because it cannot be received here. No matter the size of the dish. Satellite aiming has to be direct line of sight.

Eutelsat 8 West B may be received at your location, but it will be a fight and not worth the investment for something other than bragging rights if you can make it work. There will be a lot of terrestrial noise at that low of an angle.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to FTA and am excited to have found this forum at the beginning of this journey. I'm based in Boston and I am looking to connect to the NSS 12 57°E satellite. However, the coverage maps that I found here clearly leave out Boston and the rest of the Western Hemisphere. From some quick googling, it seems that not all coverage maps are spot on and that it can sometimes be possible to connect when the maps otherwise say you're out of range.

What I'm wondering is if there is any possibility of connecting to NSS 12 from Boston and if so, how would I go about it? How comically big of a satellite dish would it take? I'm guessing the margin for error here doesn't account for the oceans worth of distance between me and the stated coverage area but I thought it'd be worth the ask. I found a similar thread here and am afraid I have no hope in reaching NSS 12 from Boston - possible to connect to below horizon satellite?.

On a related note, I was also looking to connect to Eutelsat 8 West B at 8.0°W. The coverage map here says that Boston is indeed in range on both C and Ku bands, however it seems to be a pretty weak signal. I'm hoping someone can comment on if it would actually be worth the investment in equipment to pick up such a weak signal, and what dish/receiver might be recommended.

I appreciate the time and help in answering my questions!
Welcome to Satellite Guys! Even if those sats aren't visible there are still lots of others you can 'see' at your location to aim a dish at. :)

What channel are you looking for? Maybe it's available some other way.
I'm looking to access all of the Ethiosat channels on NSS 12 listed here on lyngsat. I've listed some of the more important ones below and the only other way I can think of would be accessing m3u8 live streams online, for which Addis Media Network is the only one that provides such a stream. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
  1. Addis Media Network
  2. AfriHealth TV
  3. Ahadu TV
  4. Amhara TV
  5. ARTS TV
  6. Asham TV
  7. Balageru TV
  8. ETV Entertainment
  9. ETV Languages
  10. ETV News
  11. Fana TV
  12. Kana TV
  13. Nahoo TV
  14. OBN
  15. Walta TV
  16. Ye Ethiopia Lijoch TV

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!

It does not show North America for NSS-12 because it cannot be received here. No matter the size of the dish. Satellite aiming has to be direct line of sight.

Eutelsat 8 West B may be received at your location, but it will be a fight and not worth the investment for something other than bragging rights if you can make it work. There will be a lot of terrestrial noise at that low of an angle.
Thank you for responding. Regarding Eutelsat 8, would your response differ in any way if I was instead interested in picking up radio broadcasts instead of tv? My thinking is that a radio broadcast would be less intense of a payload to deliver and therefore less of a fight to pick up from my location.

Thank you for responding. Regarding Eutelsat 8, would your response differ in any way if I was instead interested in picking up radio broadcasts instead of tv? My thinking is that a radio broadcast would be less intense of a payload to deliver and therefore less of a fight to pick up from my location.
The Earth is round, and the sat beam in this case is BELOW your horizon. There's absolutely no way for you to receive it in Boston. It can't bend around the Earth.

Likely internet, or even carried on another satellite you could receive.
From what I see on Lyngsat, the channels I mentioned above are only available on NSS 12, Eutelsat 8, and Eutelsat 7, all of which are beaming primarily at Northeast Africa and the Middle East. As you said earlier, those signals just won't reach me.

I think the only option left is online. Do you have any leads/sources you'd recommend I check out? I've been searching for days and was only able to find one channels online stream. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

throw: Have you checked the lyngsat listings for Galaxy 19 at 97W? That is an easy-to-receive satellite in North America and it has some African channels including Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, etc. Addis Media Network is listed on 12060 H 22000.

There are some African channels you can watch online. Click here to go to a reference site with links.

throw: Have you checked the lyngsat listings for Galaxy 19 at 97W? That is an easy-to-receive satellite in North America and it has some African channels including Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, etc. Addis Media Network is listed on 12060 H 22000.
I did see that Addis Media was listed on Galaxy 19. Since they're the only channel accessible by satellite to me and since they stream live on their site (same stream link as the one in your reference link), I didn't think it'd be worth going the satellite route just for their channel. I'm primarily interested in Ethiopian channels and they for the most part are only on NSS 12/Eurosat 7/8 unfortunately.

Would you happen to have any other reference sites you'd recommend? I'd actually never visited the one you sent despite googling for days now.

Thanks primestar. I'd come across those and EthioV looked promising but the streaming platform they use assigns my browser or IP an ID to track me as well as a endDate parameter for the stream so it cuts out after a certain time period of watching. I was hoping for something more like an m3u8 link that I can plug into VLC

Thanks primestar. I'd come across those and EthioV looked promising but the streaming platform they use assigns my browser or IP an ID to track me as well as a endDate parameter for the stream so it cuts out after a certain time period of watching. I was hoping for something more like an m3u8 link that I can plug into VLC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts