Over The Air Antenna on 622

Icon

Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I have a VIP 622 HD DVR box. Is there a way I can connect my over the air antenna to it, so that my DVR can record from it? The main reason is that although I pay for my local channels, I can't get the CW HD on dish. However, I do get it with the regular over the air antenna. Is there a way I can get CW HD thru the antenna on to my 622? Please walk me thru this, if it is indeed possible.

If your TV can see the channel, then you should just split the signal and set it both to the TV and the Dish box. If your signal is marginal, you may need to amplify it--try a 10dB 4-output amplifier. Remember Dish will only receive the digital (HD and sub-channels) signals and not any analog channels. They can be recorded just like Dish channels--yellow in the guide. As most digital/HD channels are currently in the UHF, a small antenna may be all that is needed. When/if they shift back to the VHF, I hope yours are in the upper VHF or remain UHF. TV-2 does not see the antenna--you must record it first and there is only one tuner for OTA but it is in addition to the 2 Sat tuners.

-Ken

Icon,

Unplug the antenna from the TV. Plug it into the 622. Then go into the setup of the 622 and scan for channnels on the antenna. Since you already pay for locals through Dish, you'll now see all your locals from the ANTENNA in your 622 guide. They will be colored a yellow color so you'll know what's from the dish and what's from the antenna. Now you can record from them using the guide the same way as if they were from the dish. And even though CWHD is not coming in through the DISH, it will still be in your channel line-up in the guide.

No need for splitters unless you want to record 2 dish programs PLUS a program from the antenna, while watching yet another program over the antenna.

I have a 622 and this works out great for us.

Icon,

Unplug the antenna from the TV. Plug it into the 622. Then go into the setup of the 622 and scan for channnels on the antenna. Since you already pay for locals through Dish, you'll now see all your locals from the ANTENNA in your 622 guide. They will be colored a yellow color so you'll know what's from the dish and what's from the antenna. Now you can record from them using the guide the same way as if they were from the dish. And even though CWHD is not coming in through the DISH, it will still be in your channel line-up in the guide.

No need for splitters unless you want to record 2 dish programs PLUS a program from the antenna, while watching yet another program over the antenna.

I have a 622 and this works out great for us.

What he said, I do the same and it works great.

Be aware that in your 622 setup for OTA, you may need to do the following:

Menu -> 6-System Setup -> 8-HDTV Setup

On that screen, set 'Analog Type' to OFFAIR.

This stumped me when I first did the setup, and Customer Support was worthless. But our forum friends came through for me in the clutch.

Works great.

OK, so this raises the question, does the 211 have an ATSC decoder built-in?

If so, can I put a diplexer on the roof and at the box to combine the signals? Would this degrade the ATSC signal?

Be aware that in your 622 setup for OTA, you may need to do the following:

Menu -> 6-System Setup -> 8-HDTV Setup

On that screen, set 'Analog Type' to OFFAIR.

This stumped me when I first did the setup, and Customer Support was worthless. But our forum friends came through for me in the clutch.

Works great.

Is this the same for the 722?

Okay, I got the yellow antenna channels to show up on my programing guide. However, some of the channels kept breaking up and the signal strength was really week. I kept messing with the antenna in an attempt to fix it. I got frustrated and shut the antenna off, as soon as I did that the signal strength jumped and I could see the channel ok. So I guess I didn't need the antenna.

Is it possible to record 2 regular dish channels at the same time AND one of the OTA channels as well (so 3 shows at once)?

Does Dish charge extra when I activated the extra channels (yellow guide ones)?

Thanks for the help.

Okay, I got the yellow antenna channels to show up on my programing guide. However, some of the channels kept breaking up and the signal strength was really week. I kept messing with the antenna in an attempt to fix it. I got frustrated and shut the antenna off, as soon as I did that the signal strength jumped and I could see the channel ok. So I guess I didn't need the antenna.

Is it possible to record 2 regular dish channels at the same time AND one of the OTA channels as well (so 3 shows at once)?

Thanks for the help.
No they don't charge extra for channels that you pick up over the air (OTA). And if they come in good enough - and you don't care about the guide info - you can save $60/year by dropping the locals (if you don't have DishDVR Advantage).

I used the following DIY video to make my own free antenna that is 10 times better than the one I bought at wal-mart for $15. I get all the channels in my area with good signal strength. The only ~abnormal part you need is a blaun and you can get one for a couple bucks at radio shack. Check out the video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw]YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna![/ame]

There is another thread on here somewhere that discusses the do-it-yourself OTA antenna, but that one was the easiest, cheapest, and they walk you through most all of it. The only drawback is that I didn't have a long enough coax to get it out of the living room and my wife says it's ugly. :)

Hates Diplexers

My 622 seems to hate diplexers. I just moved to a new town and have been setting up the system recently. Well I tried using diplexers to send the sat & OTA down one line. Well it just doesn't seem to work with this VIP622. It just doesn't have a good signal come in for the OTA. So have run 2nd line for OTA and is working much better. This also happen at my old location as well. previous unit didn't have this problem. And yes I have tried different diplexers. Just wondering if others have had similar results.

Thanks for the help.

You can record up to three programs at one time. Two off the satellite and one off your antenna. You can also watch something you have already recorded while the 3 other recordings are being made.

I am looking at a OTA that has a RF cable that connects the antenna to the receiver..Does the Dish receiver have a "RF in" jack? I currently have an antenna that just screws in the "over the air" jack in the back. I'm confused on this one...:confused:

I am looking at a OTA that has a RF cable that connects the antenna to the receiver..Does the Dish receiver have a "RF in" jack? I currently have an antenna that just screws in the "over the air" jack in the back. I'm confused on this one...:confused:
OTA is "over the air" is RF.

So I guess I don't understand your question.:confused:

Well on page 1 the term "rf cabling" is a reference to the type of wire. Rf cable is also called coaxial cable or coax for short. This is to separate it from "flat lead" or 300 ohm antenna wire which you most likely will never see. But us old timers used to cuss it all the time as TVs back in the day had two screw terminals that needed this flat lead. Be glad it's a bygone technology.

The bottom line is that the output of any antenna is an RF signal and is best carried by rf cable.

And to confuse you even more, yet another name for this stuff is just "cable" as in "cable TV".

The pdf is still not downloading correctly but I think the fact to take away is that the cable from the antenna goes onto the connector on the back of the 622 that shows a picture of a TV antenna and says "Over the Air antenna in"

Sorry. Techies are sometimes their own worst enemies.

The thing that bothers me though, is in the picture it looks like the "Rf connectors" plug in instead of screw in. Which is making me wonder how this would work, since you have to screw in the antenna to the "OTA' connector on the Dish Receiver. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong..:confused:

Bad art, most likely. Just get the hardware and it will probably go fine. And if it doesn't come back here and someone will help you out. But my bet is on bad artwork in the manual only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts