Overclocking

I've never overclocked Macs before so I can help you there. I've overclocked Intel and AMD processors and one thing I learned is to go slowly. You raise FSB by 5 and test, if it fails you raise voltage a bit and test. There are many methods and you can find guides on how to do it on many forums.

Read and learn about your processor and have realistic expectations before doing anything. You CAN kill your CPU or motherboard if you do it wrong. For some people the 10-20% is not worthy but for me is more of a hobby than anything else, I don't play games on the computer.

As was said in the last 2 posts by avg1joe and RandallA, that it can be a mess if not done right. This is why I think I'm going to stick to the programs rather than fooling with the machines themselves but will read the links out of interest. The programs do a fair job and as stated that one can only expect so much from overclocking.

Even on motherboards with locked multiples FSB/PCI/AGP from the early Pentium IV times, I've never had problems going from 133MHz FSB to 141MHz on decnt cooling, even stock, i.e. 6%.
When attempting this once on a SFF Sony PC the CPU was fried in a few minutes: inadequate cooling.

Going higher on such boards was always a gamble.

Diogen.

3700MHz on air smooth :D

Attachments

• 3700.jpg
    3700.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 84
Here is a capture from my $79 Frys combo (MSI 785GTM-E45 & AMD Athlon II X3 440) using the AMD Stock fan too..

3000Mhz @ 3810Mhz on air default voltage

Attachments

• 3800MHz.jpg
    3800MHz.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 106
Here is a capture from my $79 Frys combo (MSI 785GTM-E45 & AMD Athlon II X3 440) using the AMD Stock fan too..

3000Mhz @ 3810Mhz on air default voltage

What are your temperatures when you stress it? You could probably squeeze a bit more since you voltage is not that high. That's a nice overclock.

What are your temperatures when you stress it? You could probably squeeze a bit more since you voltage is not that high. That's a nice overclock.

31 °C approx since this MSI board runs at lower voltage been that is GREEN.

I used to do extreme oc with water cooling many years ago, but got tired of the mess and condensation it caused.

Once I hit 4500MHz with an old 2.6GHz P4 chip with water cooling at temps of 20 °C

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts