overclocking q6600 processor?

Gib4500

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Ohio
I just built a new quad core system last week. I have succesfully overclocked my q6600 up to 2.8ghz. Does anyone have any idea of how much you can overclock the chip too? I still have the regular heat sink that came with the processor on it. Has anyone broke 3ghz on regular heatsink? I'v been monitering the temperatures. Thanks.

I have heard that getting the q6600 up to 3.0 ghz with the standard cooler is relatively easy, even easier if you're using a better heatsink like the Zalman 9500. There are a lot of guides out on the net on getting the q6600 up to that speed.

Cool. Do you happen to know what temperature is too hot for a processor? I 'v found a good temperature monitoring program. Right now overclocked to 2.8 i'm hovering around 44 degrees celsius idle. Under full load it goes up to around upper 50's. I wasn't sure what temperature is the danger zone for processors. I'v been reading that other coolers do a better job than the stock cooler. I may have to invest in one. thanks. :up

I am running my q6600 at 3ghz with the standard sync. I have 2 case fans. The temp is steady whilst folding (under stress) at 60 degrees. It runs at about 45 when not folding. I measured these with Intel Thermal Analysis Tool.
The biggest challenge i have had with ocing any more is the mobo, MSI P965 platinum (see here for forum and additional q's but it is specific to this board Intel Core Duo and Core 2 Duo based boards)
But frankly 25% increase in performance with a small amount of twaeking for free was good enough for me.

Cool. Just a little while ago i bumped it up to 3ghz. The temperature seemed to be about the same as it was at 2.8. I'm getting about the same readings as you temperature wise now. I"m hovering at about 43 degrees celcius idle right now. I agree 3ghz is a nice overclock for a 2.4ghz processor. This thing is much faster than my old amd 64 3400 processor. haha :D

Just go to intel's web site and see what the processor is rated for max temp. Keep it under that (with some margin). Usually the system will become unstable before you actually hit the max temp. Also the processors have pretty good thermal protections so you will probably not fry the processor if it gets too hot.

If the system starts having random lockups and crashes it is probably overclocked too high. I do not raise the voltage since it can shorten the life of the processor, it would make it more stable at higher rates, but I view that as too much risk.

I have my Q6600 overclocked to 3.2GHz. I am using a Zalman 9700 for cooling and my full load temps (while folding for the Satguys) for the warmest core is about 49c.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts