Owned, not leased, 622 - requirements?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Here's my situation. There's a deal on a ViP622 I can't pass up, but... can't justify upgrading AT180 to DishHD Gold at $20 extra per month right now. According to my signature, I already have 61.5, 110, 119, 129 coming from a DPP44 switch to my 522, so installing should not be an issue. The 522 is my only active receiver.

If this has already been covered somewhere else, my apologies, my browser is having problems with the search function, please point me to the appropriate thread.

Let me list out what I believe to be accurate, anyone who knows better is welcome to correct me.

- since I will OWN the receiver, I can just replace my existing receiver and activate this one on the existing programming.
- I will not be able to get HD OTA unless I either upgrade to the metal pack or pay the HD enabling fee.
- since I'm replacing one owned DVR with another and not yet upgrading the package, my monthly bill should not increase.

Question: Will I at least get the HD Demo channel at 61.5? This might be enough to increase the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) for spending the extra monthly for HD. Plus, I don't really know yet how good HD will look on my set (Samsung PCL5415), so this would at least let me know that.

Last edited:
If your Samsung is properly converged, then HD material will look very good on it. Although as your TV is one of the now-odd 4:3 HD sets, you will have to be concerned about screen burn-in if you watch too much widescreen HD on it. That is, unless you zoom & crop the image into a 4:3 shape.

You will be able to get HD OTA, I don't think they can stop the receiver from picking up OTA channels. That is why you will get hit with the $6 HD enabling fee if you do not sign up for any HD channels. So the price difference between getting only your OTA channels vs OTA plus Dish's 23 HD channels will be $14/month.

Still, if you can get HD locals OTA, then the $6 isn't a bad deal. At least if you watch more of them than I do.

Doing a search on exact string "Enabling Fee" on dishnetwork website found a few matches. It goes on to say that the fee can be avoided either by subbing to the HD packs, or if the HD receiving ability has been disabled at the customer's request. I guess if I can't get OTA HD locals with rabbit-ears (I'm not about to attempt erecting an outdoor antenna during the hot months) I can ask them to disable it. I will be sure to confirm that disabling isn't a permanent action first.

Pepper said:
Question: Will I at least get the HD Demo channel at 61.5? This might be enough to increase the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) for spending the extra monthly for HD. Plus, I don't really know yet how good HD will look on my set (Samsung PCL5415), so this would at least let me know that.

YES. You should get the DEMO channel even on a RCVR that is not activated. (I think)

In the evening if I have someone over or when I just have tthe TV on without the intent of watching anything, I really like to tune it into the Aquarium... :cool:

That should increase the WAF bigtime...

Here's a question on the requirements--can you buy a 622 if you're already taking advantage of a lease upgrade to a 622, i.e., can you install/activate a 2nd 622?

shanewalker said:
Here's a question on the requirements--can you buy a 622 if you're already taking advantage of a lease upgrade to a 622, i.e., can you install/activate a 2nd 622?
YES!

shanewalker said:
Is money green?:) :) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)