Owning Receiver vs. Leasing - Ugh - Need Help

ju421019

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Hi - I am out of contract from Dish Network - the main reason I subscribe with them is because of Intls.

Now - I am being offered free Vip 622 to replace my 322. I already have a 622 in another room as well.

The problem is the 18 month contract - that seems way too long and I know they are extending their promo contracts to 24 mnths on Feb. 1st.

My problem is - should I buy a 622 - would I still have to pay the $6 leasing fee? I know I would have to pay the DVR fee.

Anyone know where I can get one cheap?

I would go with the Dish N It Up promo but the problem is that 18 month contract - my family is like on vacation 3-4 months per year - and last time I called to turn off the 322 while they were out - I was told since its being leased, I can't, unless I want to return the receiver. So I was paying $5 per month for no reason.

Now, when they are on vacation I would have to pay I think $12 month ( $6 receiver + $6 DVR).

Any suggestions? Lastly, I'm not even sure if I'll be in the same city in 18 months - so many unknowns with such a lengthy contract - it's not like a cell phone which is a necessity.

Thanks!

Dish will allow you 1 free dish mover per 12 months so if you move you will not have to pay for the move just take your receivers & remotes with you and they will install the system at your new location. The 622 dvr is around $440 new(cost I am pretty sure unless it has changed)and the fees will be the same whether you own it or if you lease it as far as a monthly fee goes it makes no difference. :hatsoff:

I would become the owner of the receiver - its just that dont know where to get it cheap.

Now would Dish Mover require an extension to the contract?

I wouldn't be so jumpy to get in on the deal now - but from what I have read after Feb. '08 things in terms of pricing are taking a turn for the worse. Like longer contracts - prices are rising - no great new receiver on the horizon.

The only advantage I'm seeing is on Feb. 1st - is that I will be able to replace my pathetic HD Enabling fee with the Essentials package.

But prior to that - I was thinking - maybe this is the time to jump in to get the free upgrade receiver - if it was a 12 month contract - i would have been in - but 18 months - ugh - and more worse is the 24 month one.

A follow up question I have is if at some pt - I decide to return one of the 622's - would I be in any trouble? I mean, if I move and some of family stays here at this home - can I just drop one receiver and continue with the contract?

I would NEVER buy another DBS receiver. I've always owned before last year and have 4 older E* receivers sitting on shelves. If you pay all that $$$ to buy what are you gonna do with it when/if you leave?:confused: Guess you can screw around with EBay but I'd rather not. If you buy you'll pay $6 @ month "Extra receiver fee". If you lease you pay $6 @ month to lease a 2nd receiver. :rolleyes: A 622 with no upfront upgrade fee? IMHO I think you'd be nuts to buy. Good luck with YOUR decision.

Ed

One more question - if I threaten to cancel - do you think I can get some other incentives - Im not sure what else they can offer - but something like $5 per month or something? Anyone know? Thanks

Just remember, if you lease, and your house is on fire... grab the box, they have no compassion for such things. :D

haha - I was thinking of threatening to cancel and see if they offer anything - not sure if that ever works or what i would say - like DirecTV sent me a offer?

Today is my 11 th year anniversary with DISH and I have owned all my receivers except one 522 that I tested for about 6 months . I liked it so much I gave it back to DISH and bought my first 942 then the 622 and 722. I have bought and traded in the older receivers to dishdepot.com for credit towards a new one or sold them on Ebay for quick cash. I haven't had any commitment with DISH for some years now and I really don't intend on having one. THat is why I own my receivers .

2- 622 receivers and 1- 722 receiver.

if you enter into a contract, you will not have the same terms for dishpause when you go on vacation. your contract is for 18 months of continous programming of dishfam/t100 or above(or other qualifing latin or inter package).

The second receiver that I am leasing - the 322 - would I still have to pay a Additional receiver fee if I buy a 622? thanks

If they can't get you with a lease fee, they WILL get you with an "additional receiver access" fee. I still have a 508 up in the bedroom. For YEARS I saw no additional fees on my bill from that receiver. It's grandfathered out. So I make this wonderful switch to HD and trade in my 625 for a 622 and *poof!* ... magically I have the additional receiver fee on my bill.

haha - I was thinking of threatening to cancel and see if they offer anything - not sure if that ever works or what i would say - like DirecTV sent me a offer?
I cancelled yesterday all I got was we will ship you boxes to send the receivers back in. Believe me DISH will gladly let you leave.:)

If Dish charges you $6 per receiver no matter if you lease or own then why would someone own?

I cancelled yesterday all I got was we will ship you boxes to send the receivers back in. Believe me DISH will gladly let you leave.:)

They will probably call you in a week or so to try and "win you back"

of course by this point its too late .. as you will probably already be tied in with a new provider.

would be interested to hear what they offer you though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts