P in P 4K Joey

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
Does anyone else remember when the 4K Joey first came out, that they said it would have P in P "soon"?

Been about 5 years now... still waiting...

I rarely use it, but it would be nice occasionally. One of the reasons I spent more for them originally.

Reactions: pattykay
I haven't been to this site in quite a while, I wasn't sure if Dish reps chimed in anymore. Looking around I see they do.

Any of those reps want to chime in here? As long as the answer isn't "soon".... :rolleyes:

Unlike the old Dish only forum, they hardly respond here. They were getting too much abuse and crankiness. It was out of control. The old forum became a weeping site. it is much more polite here. Thank goodness not many discovered this site.

Why not? If the Hopper does all the work, then the so-called PIP is just one HD picture. Or are you considering that a 4K picture?
Because the software does more than just send a picture. It also allows you to swap, move the inset around, do side by side, etc. The Joey can't do those functions and you can't send that down the Moca....

Because the software does more than just send a picture. It also allows you to swap, move the inset around, do side by side, etc. The Joey can't do those functions and you can't send that down the Moca....
IMHO if the Hopper can do it for it's own output, it can do the same for a Joey as well and just send a picture. I've been surprised at how little processing the Joey's do. If you know better, then I invite your correction and explanation of what exactly a Joey does other than display the Hopper output.

The Hopper can’t send PIP to the Joey via Moca
Did you read that somewhere? 2 HD streams is 1/2 the bandwidth of 1 4K stream.

I think more likely then not, it could be done, Dish just doesn't want to allocate the resources into getting it working.

Reactions: TheKrell
There was a change of technology so it would not have worked with the Hopper 3.

That’s about the long and short of it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Figured.... Although if it can handle 4K bandwidth, it could certainly handle 2 HD streams for P in P.
I remember, perhaps incorrectly, that even the Joey would have 2 channel PIP (not Bar Mode), but that never happened, as well. The concern may have been with MoCA 1.1 with ALL the traffic of internet access routed from all Joeys to the Hopper for VOD and all the other multiple TV channels being sent throughout the home to all the other Joeys. However, since MoCA 2.0 with the H3, this can be easily handled, but it feels like Dish does not want to make the financial investment to make PIP on Joeys since the business is shrinking, not expanding. IIRC, Dish laid off a whole bunch of coders some years ago when the linear TV biz, and Dish, started going down hill. My sense is we are luck that Dish keeps things afloat these days. There just isn't the economic incentive nor real competition there was before streaming came along. Now, it seems about keeping the business afloat and not having as much money to spend on the latest and greatest tech, but keep doing just enough to keep reasonably current in tech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts