P280 improves DVI color saturation

JAL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Well, since having my 811 for about a month now, I was disappointed with the color saturation on the DVI connection. I have a plasma, and was disappointed with the picture quality, no matter what adjustments I tried to make. Dish must have done some sort of adjustment with the new software, because finally my plasma has a decent picture with good color saturation on DVI. Have others noticed this improvement?

Have had my MITS 62525 and the 811 for about a month also, and am still relatively uneducated. Haven't done any calibration yet, but hope to get into that shortly. After getting 280 Wed night, it was obvious the signal was oversaturated compared to the 269. Had to makesome serious adjustments to get the picture back to where it was. Still excellent. Haven'tnoted any degradation loke some others.

I noticed that 269 ramped the brightness/contrast and my pic was very washed out.

Retweaked to HDNet test patterns and got the same pic. quality back.

Have not noticed a jot of diff with 280.

Sometimes I think people around here (not you) just post things to stir crap up.

AcuraCL said:
I noticed that 269 ramped the brightness/contrast and my pic was very washed out.

Retweaked to HDNet test patterns and got the same pic. quality back.

Have not noticed a jot of diff with 280.

Sometimes I think people around here (not you) just post things to stir crap up.

Pot calling kettle black, no? A "very washed out" picture from something that's obviously overcompensating isn't shocking.

Since I am thinking about doing some calibration this weekend. This makes me want to jump through the hoops to get 280 installed. ;) I am getting the dreeded 3 bar bug.

hancox said:
Pot calling kettle black, no? A "very washed out" picture from something that's obviously overcompensating isn't shocking.

I dunno. Maybe.

I know I never had a problem with or complained about DVI. It was perfect from Day 1.

269 fixed a problem I didn't have.

Other outputs (composite, e.g.) was a bit dark until a couple of releases before 269. Then it got brighter. With 269 it got brighter still.

I'm glad I don't work for Dish. There is no way to make sense of all the dark/bright conditions people are seeing or think they're seeing on the same dam receiver. They should just give up, give it a new model number, and forget "fixing" it.

It's actually an enormous engineering folly on their part to have the 811's pq settings set incorrectly. There are well documented standards for what the output of the 811 should be like. In essence the 811 shouldn't deviate too noticably from any other dish network receiver or other devices you might use. In most cases it's the manufacturer "tweaks" that the TV manufacturers use that cause pq differences (especially noticable between inputs).

I also didn't have a problem with DVI PQ on my Sammy DLP until 2.69 was installed. I still haven't been able to adjust to the color setup and brightness I had before 2.69. I to am not happy that E* fixed something that wasn't broke w/ 2.69. If that is the price we have to pay to lighten up the S-Video, I'll take dark S-Video. After all, the 811 is supposed to be an HD receiver.

BTW, I don't see any improvement with 2.80.

I'm curious. Has anyone compared Directv directly with a Dish 811, both using DVI out to see which produces a better picture (e.g. is the problem that the DVI is just sharper, showing more transmission problems, or is it something to do with the way Dish has set this output on the 811)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts