P285 Roll-out Halted. P287 To Be Released Today

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
According to Posts in the 811 support forum at DBS Talk, distribution and testing on P285 has ceased. A new version, P287 is to begin roll-out today. No details on P287 yet. Looks like most of us will never see P285.

NightRyder

At this point I don't care anymore ;)

I'll just receive updates when I get them.

I think it's kinda of pathetic how those guys have such an operation going with dish to announce bug fixes and then report bugs so they can be fixed.

Hurray.. What a joke....

We'll maybe I'm in the minority, but I like to know what's going on, if I didn't I wouldn't be here. I find the civil relationship between DBS Talk and Dish useful, I could care less about the pissing match between the two sites, or self serving claims from either side regarding which site represents consumers (us) better. I'm sick of it. End of rant. ;)

NightRyder

For me, the 811 is not as stable as it needs to be, but it is usable.
It is stable enough so I don't have to care about future updates.

Just if they can fix:

- The disappearing guide syndrome.
- Occasional crash, about once a week. It seems somehow related to OTA surfing.

-Mark

I've been contented with the 811 since P284 rolled-out (which is still where I'm at, presently), but it'll be interesting to see what P287 does. I can't get anything OTA, so I don't suffer from the issues related to that as others do, however, I will be interested to see what they do with the varying volume levels DD5.1 has on several channels...

long_time_DNC:

Why are you assuming it is the 811s problem with the volume. It probably isn't the 811s fault, but more likely the station's fault for not setting the parms right on their Dolby encoder for locally originated material.

Also, the P287 download takes a very long time. I'm at 25 minutes and counting.

Cheers,

It's installed, and it took about 35 minutes.

Sysinfo is now several pages (3 or 4) and includes a 12 step (but speedy) switch check. Software information is on the 3rd screen.

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
It's installed, and it took about 35 minutes.

Sysinfo is now several pages (3 or 4) and includes a 12 step (but speedy) switch check. Software information is on the 3rd screen.

Cheers,

This was in 285. The new UI look also.

redline65 said:
:D How long have you had your 811? They have come a long way in the stability department since I got mine in February 2004!

I had the 811 since day one. I was one of the first people to get it.

-Mark

I posted here a week ago that P285 was hosed and the rollout had stopped. But, some folks just kept saying it is a slow rollout. Well, it looks like more people got P287 today on this forum than ever got P285. Just wanted to get in my " I told you so".

Now I just hope P287 fixes the problems I care about.

Ron:

I got my 811 in Decomber 2003, replaced in 2004. I always got upgrades as soon as they were released, except for 2.85.

2.87 was no exception. So clearly 2.85 was an extremely limited rollout.

Since the vast majority of the 811 installed base never saw 2.85, we can only comment on what we see for 2.87.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts