Pac-10 hopes to launch its own TV network

CharlesO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 12, 2003
Agua Fria, Arizona
I hinted that the Pac-10 was looking for new revenue sources...
would you want a channel exclusively for the Pac-10?

Pac-10 hopes to launch its own TV network | College Sports | eastvalleytribune.com

Check out the revenues of the other conferences...

The Pac-10 reported gross receipts of $88.78-million for the 2007 fiscal year. That same year the Big Ten reported gross receipts of $177.4-million. Internal Revenue Service documents also show that the ACC had gross receipts of $162.4-million in 2007, the SEC $149.1-million, and Big 12 $119.2-million. The SEC had gross receipts of $161.5-million in 2008, the Big 12 $129.8-million. Records are not available for the Pac-10, Big Ten and ACC for the 2008 fiscal year.

...The ACC makes more than the SEC. Very Surprising.

I'm not sure that spreading the money out is going to improve the coverage.

If it involves Comcast as a partner in any way, I'm opposed.

I hinted that the Pac-10 was looking for new revenue sources...
would you want a channel exclusively for the Pac-10?

Pac-10 hopes to launch its own TV network | College Sports | eastvalleytribune.com

Check out the revenues of the other conferences...

So much for the whole SEC football is the biggest cash cow in sports argument.

As for the idea of a Pac 10 channel I think that would be a mistake. The Pac 10 struggles to get national coverage mainly because of the time difference. A new channel wouldn't solve that. Besides Pac 10 schools don't have a national following. That was the logic behind the Big Ten Network. There are Big Ten fans all over the place. Who would pay extra to get a Pac 10 channel? All you'd be getting are Washington St-Oregon games. Any game, like USC football, with national significance would still be on ABC/ESPN.

I agree, a Pac-10 channel would be a huge mistake. Can you imagine the uproar in the LA and San Fran DMA's if their cable-satt providers dragged their heels on adding this channel?

And I'm sure those of you in the LA DMA remember 1997 very well. That's when Fox West 2 (now Prime Ticket) split from the mothership, and hardly any cable carriers had it at launch.

Trust me, Dodger fans were PISSED.

Those numbers pre-date are from 2007 and 2008. The SEC's new mega-deal with Disney starts this season (2009) and will jump their revenue up quite a bit.

As for the Pac-10, I actually think this is a good idea for them. With reasonable prices and distribution demands, they shouldn't have much trouble getting it on systems on the west coast and maybe on sports tiers elsewhere (but maybe not) especially now that the BTN has paved the way and set a standard. The Pac-10's TV distribution after their first and second tier games is awful, with many going unbroadcasted or having only local broadcasts. A regional network would help the exposure of the bottom half of the conference specifically and probably most everyone except USC anyway.

This isn't the same case like the SEC where a networks are falling all over themselves to carry third tier games. No one has really bid hard for Pac-10 games even though they dominate a fairly populated part of the country.

That said, if Comcast gets involved, I'd imagine that it might mean more Pac-10 games on Versus as well.

I am guessing since the others have there own network or will be starting, they feel they need one two.

SEC revenues will dwarf all other conferences with the start of the Concurrent 15 year deals with CBS and ESPN.

With that being said though "kudos to the Big 10" for having the brass to start their own network.

Also think it would be a good idea for the PAC 10 provided that Comcast has no say in it at all.

SEC revenues will dwarf all other conferences with the start of the Concurrent 15 year deals with CBS and ESPN.

That's not true. The new TV deals for the SEC enable the teams there to basically be on par with the BTN in terms of shared revenues per team (the SEC will generate slightly more, but they also have an extra team). The SEC will certainly not be "dwarfing" the Big Ten, though these two conference are certainly far in front of all the others.

Also, the Big Ten could actually start widening the gap again compared to the SEC if the BTN ends up increasing in reveues as some anticipate.

That's not true. The new TV deals for the SEC enable the teams there to basically be on par with the BTN in terms of shared revenues per team (the SEC will generate slightly more, but they also have an extra team). The SEC will certainly not be "dwarfing" the Big Ten, though these two conference are certainly far in front of all the others.

Also, the Big Ten could actually start widening the gap again compared to the SEC if the BTN ends up increasing in reveues as some anticipate.

Maybe my memory is faulty but IIRC, when the deals were signed Richard Sandomir(Times Sports media beat) did an article in the NY Times stating that the new deals in their first years of existence would enable all 12 SEC Universities to receive roughly3-5 Million more per team than any other team in any other conference.

I'll see if I can find the article in the Times archive.

Then there's this note on a cbssports blog ...

Could a new network be a combined effort of the Pac-10 and the ACC? From the article:
Incoming Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott made an appearance at the BCS meetings in Pasadena. One of the subjects being tossed around in the rumor mill is a network that would be a joint venture between the ACC and Pac-10.

I agree, a Pac-10 channel would be a huge mistake. Can you imagine the uproar in the LA and San Fran DMA's if their cable-satt providers dragged their heels on adding this channel?

And I'm sure those of you in the LA DMA remember 1997 very well. That's when Fox West 2 (now Prime Ticket) split from the mothership, and hardly any cable carriers had it at launch.

Trust me, Dodger fans were PISSED.

Don't forget, the Big Boys in the conference will only play one or two games usually on the network and it will be an early season game.
The major games will all be the same place they always are.

I would think this would be an UNLIKELY partnership, for some reason these two conferences just don't have much in common.

Actually it works quite well, but both conferences would need to coordinate scheduling of various sports. PAC-10 men's basketball is usually on a Thursday/Saturday rotation with some exceptions.

Mondays - ACC women's sports
Tuesdays - ACC men's basketball
Wednesday - ACC/PAC-10 men's sports
Thursdays - PAC-10 men's baskeball
Fridays - ACC women's sports
Saturday - during football: 12pm ACC, 3:30pm ACC or PAC-10, 7pm ACC or PAC-10, 10:15pm PAC-10), during basketball a mix of ACC and PAC-10 men's and women's action
Sunday - mix of ACC and PAC-10 men's and women's action

Also, the ACC contracts expire after 2010-11, the PAC-10 expires one year later. Depending on the part that is picked, a joint venture might require a one year extension of the ACC's deal or some other awkward arrangement for a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)