Packages

JerryDowning

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 31, 2012
NE Illinois
For economic reasons, I recently downgraded from AEP to Dish 120+. My wife was upset that ESPN remained but Soapnet and The Cooking Channel went away. I have since upgraded to Dish 250 to get them back. I cannot understand why ESPN is on a low tier package but Soapnet is not. I thought ESPN cost more per subscriber than many others.

per wiki

Soapnet was discontinued on some cable and satellite providers beginning on March 22, 2012, with Disney Junior replacing it in its channel space.[2][3] Soapnet continues, however, for providers who have not yet made carriage agreements for Disney Junior (e.g. Dish Network) and for those providers who have kept Soapnet in their lineup and have taken on Disney Junior as an additional channel (e.g. DirecTV, etc)

ESPN is in the top 120 because they want it made available to the majority of customers. The most popular channels are placed in lower packages so more people can watch them at an affordable price.

I m in the same situation you are.You have favorite channels but have to have the next to most expensive package in order to be able to watch.Its annoying because I have AT250 and rarely watch Any Nick channels,Disney,Encore tier(only The HD Encore)I would be perfectly happy to eliminate thesae channels in favor of a cheaper package.The only must haves for me are Cooking,Food,Hgtv,Hist ,travel,Syfy,ID,Science,Bio,TVland,HLN,Cnn.And my locals in HD.If I had a package like this say at 3.00 each a channel.It would be so great.Dish needs to redo thier package offerrings.Satelitte used to be really cheap ,not anymore..

I m in the same situation you are.You have favorite channels but have to have the next to most expensive package in order to be able to watch.Its annoying because I have AT250 and rarely watch Any Nick channels,Disney,Encore tier(only The HD Encore)I would be perfectly happy to eliminate thesae channels in favor of a cheaper package.The only must haves for me are Cooking,Food,Hgtv,Hist ,travel,Syfy,ID,Science,Bio,TVland,HLN,Cnn.And my locals in HD.If I had a package like this say at 3.00 each a channel.It would be so great.Dish needs to redo thier package offerrings.Satelitte used to be really cheap ,not anymore..

I agree that they need to redo some packages but I don't think they can. They have contracts with networks that say they need to have their channels in certain packages. It's not as easy as most people think, the TV industry can be a pain.

I just went back to the Top 200. After doing some real math (BBCA HD shows on Amazon and Nat Geo Stuff), the cost is about equal over a year to pay Dish, or do VOD. So, I just decided to spend the money with Dish so I can get the other channels.

I subscribe to Dish America. There are only about 4 additional chanels that I would even watch, if they were available. It is not worth it to me or my wife to invest so much extra cash ($35)for the AT250 that would be required to watch those four channels.

For economic reasons, I recently downgraded from AEP to Dish 120+. My wife was upset that ESPN remained but Soapnet and The Cooking Channel went away. I have since upgraded to Dish 250 to get them back. I cannot understand why ESPN is on a low tier package but Soapnet is not. I thought ESPN cost more per subscriber than many others.

Soapnet is in AT200. I am guessing your wife has a certain soap or soaps that she likes to watch at night. However, I believe full episodes of Y&R and Days can be viewed online. Y&R is supposed to move to TVGN (TV Guide Network) which is channel 117 on Dish and is basically in every package. Another solution would be just to DVR them or record them somehow. I know they play in HD OTA while they play in SD on Soapnet. I do not get why Dish moved it years ago from channel 188 (where GMC is now) to 253.

The Cooking Channel is in AT250 unless you go for the cheaper but SD only Smart Pack.

Did you want ESPN? My guess would be possibly, but I noticed that you subbed to 120+ which would mean you would like an RSN or RSNs. We get RSNs but not the English ESPNs with the $48.99/month Dish Latino Dos (which is also eligible for HD Free for Life and has an amount of English channels). Warning: The Dish Latino packages vary in structure when it comes to English channel in the America's Top packages. However, Soapnet and Cooking Channel do not appear to be in any of the Dish Latino packages.

I subscribe to Dish America. There are only about 4 additional chanels that I would even watch, if they were available. It is not worth it to me or my wife to invest so much extra cash ($35)for the AT250 that would be required to watch those four channels.

Which four? You may (or may not) be able to get them a la carte.

I'm with you, I had to go back to the top 200 because bravo isn't in the top 120. Wife was throwing a fit.

We get Bravo in the $48.99/month Dish Latino Dos package. However, I barely watch the channel unless it is a movie if I can bare watching the commercials along with the edits or if Inside the Actor's Studio is on with someone that is worth watching. I thought Bravo was good at one point, but I do not think it is now.

Dish's $29.99/month Smart Pack has in SD Cooking Channel, Food Network, ID, Science, Bio, TV Land, and HLN (according to the channel lineup card). Locals would be in HD as long as you have the HD equipment. If you are okay with the SD Encores, the Encore Movie Pack is an a la carte add-on for $5/month which includes all of the Encores (except the main/East channel) along with MoviePlex (on channel 377).

I thought HGTV used to be included when it was the Family package although it is include in the Welcome Pack. Additionally, Travel, Syfy, and CNN would not be in this pack.

I just went back to the Top 200. After doing some real math (BBCA HD shows on Amazon and Nat Geo Stuff), the cost is about equal over a year to pay Dish, or do VOD. So, I just decided to spend the money with Dish so I can get the other channels.

If you care solely for BBCA and Nat Geo, both are included in Dish Latino Max for $61.99/month. However, Nat Geo is also in Dish Latino Dos for $48.99/month but no BBCA in that package.

if its any consolation, tell your wife espn will probably be gone in a few months.

What I don't understand is take the bravo channel for example. Now wouldn't you think that NBC would want to get their channels into all the packages starting at the top 120? They purposely don't put the full episodes of my wife's shows on the bravo website and other shows because then there would be no reason to sub to the channel. There's a lot I don't even watch including the religious, logo, foreign language channels but still have to pay for them. Why can't they at least come up with you pick your channel packages ? The more channels the better the discount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts