Paint your primestar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Here's the sprayjob I did on the last 1.0meter pstar I got hold of. I used Krylon spray paint for plastics, about 4bucks a can I think, from wallyworld. After a good washing with a brush, looks brand new. Of course I still need to fix the rusty spots on the mount and paint the pole.. The backside I did in a dark green, blends right in with the evergreens, and when the leaves were still on the others, you hardly notice the dish at all from the backside.

Attachments

• 01cs.jpg
    01cs.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 02s.jpg
    02s.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 233
No they seem to find their own perches lol, and prefer the 2 big black metal dishes on the cooler days, guess the darker colors are warmer.

The key is preparation of course. Clean , dry, sand lightly if needed , prime, sand, clean again, paint. Practice, practice.

Heck, might as well, Haven't been to STL in a while. I got lots of practice working construction, then later working for the Natl Park Service. You know, the GOV=Paint everything!

I used Rustoleum brand automotive gray primer in spray can to paint my P* dish and it covered very well. It's durable, won't fade in the sun and has no sun glare. I've used on other dishes and I pleased with the quality.

Yes that camo-the-backside trick turned out ok, I may paint one of them in the front that way next just for grins.

How many cans did you use? I used the Krylon fusion for plastic in the spring on an old lawn chair and it took like 4 cans.

How many cans did you use? I used the Krylon fusion for plastic in the spring on an old lawn chair and it took like 4 cans.

On a windy day it may take about 20 cans (LOL) but I painted mine on a nice day and did it with less than 3 of the regular size cans, I painted the back, the bracket and the post too, the Rustoleum Automotive Primer is a quality auto paint and it covers very well and has no adverse reaction with the plastic dish, in fact I might even testify to a signal gain.

I have been away from this forum for a while (work issues). Just wanted to say that I really like the new picture of Anole. I used to have Anole lizards when I was a kid. They were sold as "Chamelons". I used to get them for $2 in the mail.

thanks. wanted to get in the Xmas spirit.

Yea, DogBreath, we noticed you were away,
. . . and missed you , too! :cool:

I think Turbo would probably give you a hand full, if you paid him a visit.
Bet they love the back side of his dish, now that it's dark and absorbs more heat. - :up
I know they were common as dirt around my house in Florida, when I was a kid.

For New Years, maybe I'll find the pix of the Haitian anoles with the blue throat fan.
Used to have a few. Beautiful animals.

One day last week when it was unusually warm I walked up on 2 that were about to have a hockey game, they are very territorial and won't put up with each other invading each's zone lol. They crack me up doin the pushups and puffing out their throaty things.
To answer the man's question though- I only used about 2/3 of one can of that paint, to do tha backside of this .90M dish again. I went over it 2-3 times though getting good coverage because it WAS windy that day. I'd buy 2 for a 1m size primestar to cover front and back, still have some left. Try to post some pics tomorrow when I finish my last minute shopping.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts