Panasonic to withdraw from the OLED TV market?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
A report from Japan suggests that Panasonic decided to withdraw from the OLED TV business as production costs are too high for the Japanese company. According to the report, Panasonic hopes to sale its OLED business to Japan Display (an agreement is expected next month).

This report is not confirmed yet. It is rather surprising as Panasonic's OLED business is focused on TV panels, while Japan Display is producing small/medium displays. In the past few years, Panasonic focused on printing technologies using Sumitomo's P-OLED materials.

http://www.oled-info.com/panasonic-...nfo+(OLED-Info:+OLED+tech+news+and+resources)

I still think Panny and maybe even Sony will be out of the HT scene before too long. I'm worried about options. My old GT30 65" I sold to my friend had a board go out and in the process of replacing the board he cracked the screen (didnt listen to me on how to place it for repair...) and he just spent $2900 on the new Q+ 70" Sharp.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZZZMNI/?tag=satell01-20

I went and looked at it, and to be quite frank, it SUCKS... I hope my VT50 lasts another 3-4 years until this shakes out.

OLED has been one of these about to come to market technologies for quite a while. I think that if it does not come to the mainstream market in the next 3 years, it will never make it.

OLED is one of these technologies that never seem to pan out. I have been hearing about OLED for nearly a decade. Every time I hear that it's only a couple of years away from market. Now that the larger companies like Sony and Panasonic are abandoning the idea, I think it is dead.

OLED is one of these technologies that never seem to pan out. I have been hearing about OLED for nearly a decade. Every time I hear that it's only a couple of years away from market. Now that the larger companies like Sony and Panasonic are abandoning the idea, I think it is dead.

I think LG & Samsung disagree with you.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I hope I'm wrong. It seems like a great technology. But it is still way too expensive and the benefits to a mass market are few as of now. Yes, there are plenty of pie in the sky predictions of what OLED could mean. But even Samsung has stopped some OLED development for its smaller devices.

I've been waiting on OLED technology for the past 6-7 years. Screw-it! I finally replaced a 10-year old set last year (color wheel was starting to go) and I'm going to get 65" 4K set when the prices come down enough.

When affordable 4k comes out in a big enough screen I will probably update then. I have a feeling it will end up being LED.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)