Pansat 2500A Losing Sound

Status
Please reply by conversation.

erock198

Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I Run a Low Power Tv Station and I'm using a Pansat 2500A to pull down and rebroadcast IOn Network on AMC-1 Ch 6.

It seems like every day I lose signal then when it returns there is no audio anymore. I'm not sure if this is a receiver issue or the LNB or what. The reason I have turned to this forum is because there aren't and decent C Band technitians around that can help me. The guy who installed the system passed away a year ago.

I have a 12' Mesh dish that I use. I have no idea what to adjust as the picture is good when I get there. I do most or my work remotely using PCAnywhere.

I hope you can help.

Erik

suspect the easy stuff first
check the feedhorn and make sure no nest are blocking the feed
check the coax ends.
if it happens daily ( is it about the same time) it could point to a lnb that is failing

i don't remember if the pansat 2500a has the ability to control a corotor but if it does and your unit has several (small) wires in the back hooked up then you can adjust ( fine tune) the skew to gain the best signal) via the setup menu

when the signal returns , i suspect the pansat just isn't re-aquiring the audio part of the feed. how do you re-aquire the audio ? turn off the unit? rescan?

I get the audio back by shutting it off and turning back on. My problem is that I need it to work 24/7 and it is frustrating that it is not. The dish has a corotor but it is not in use. I have all new nosecone parts that I can change out. So I can change a corotor

Yes it seems to happen at the same time and also overnight as well.

Also, I do not have a user guide with the unit and have not been able to find one online. I tried setting the timer to cycle the power for my but it did not seem to work. I was looking for info on the timer function

Thanks

E

i would swap out the cband lnb and see if that doesn't cure the problem

if this is the only channel the box is using a channel editor reload should in effect ( mini boot) the stb after reloading the channel list. this should possible through pcanywhere

Im going to change the LNB. Anything else I should change?

I"m not sure about the second part or your post. I don't understand the terminology

E

using a channel editor like channel master you can download & save your channel list
if this is the only channel you have loaded on the pansat then when you push the saved channel list back to the pansat via the computer via a serial cable to the pansat it forces the pansat to reload the list. so thats kinda like a mini reboot

for my receiver it wouldn't work cause it doesn't return to the same channel but if you only had one channel on the pansat it should work

Yes channel 6 on AMC-1 is the only channel we use and when you turn off then on the receiver it stays on the same channel. Now I"m not sure how to do what you are describing.

Thanks

E

I couldn't find the manual.
Only a lot of hack sites, as well as other legit folks looking for a manual.

On the Pansat site, I did find these documents.
They are located at the bottom of this web page.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• 2500A
- Data Transfer (R to R)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Picture Rolling Problem[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Adding new frequencies[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Adding new satellites[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Basic Operating procedures[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Switching to Radio or TV mode[/FONT]

Not sure if any would help you or not. :confused:
But, since I don't know what to look for, I will let ya peek at 'em.

May be time to replace the receiver, things wear out, capacitors go bad, parts get weak, etc. How's your budget? You can find a number of good receivers now for around a hundred dollars delivered. Check our sponsors out.

I'm with Turbosat on that one.
If you've replaced the LNB, checked the cables, and taken out any switches in the line, and realigned the dish, then about all that's left is the receiver.

Oh, any chance there is some outside interference around?
Has the military set up a high powered radar in your back yard? :rolleyes:

And as to why the receiver doesn't have sound after reacquiring the signal, that's just strange.
Here's about the best solution I can think of.
You're lucky our sponsor has a holiday sale on a top-rated receiver.
At least it won't break the bank. :)
SatelliteAV has the Mercury II from Fortec Star.

. . .

Wait a minute... you don't use the corotor?
What?
You mean you don't have one, it's not hooked up, or what?
What kind of C-band LNB do you have?
Can you give us a few pictures?
We might be onto something here.

And the Mercury II doesn't have corotor control, so if you need it, thats the wrong receiver. :(

The Dish is a SAMI 12' Not sure what the LNB is. I bought it from DSI, along with all the other parts for the nose cone. I'm not sure if we use the corotor. I was just assuming since the only wire attached to our receiver is the coax cable.

It was interesting today when I went down there and reset the receiver, All of a sudden I lost picture but had sound till I reset the unit again. I'm totally lost here
E

Last edited:
I have a 2700A and have the same thing occuring at specific times. The closest I can figure out is that when a network switches between feeds (like east coast to pacific for transmitting same programming or splitting programming) the bit feed of the digital signal isn't exactly in sync. This isn't a problem for the big stations since their equipment will auto-sync the video and audio signals when received. However, I think the Pansat will auto-sync the video and then lock the audio into a certain bit pattern based on the video sync and stays that way until you reset the receiver. If the feeds change and aren't perfectly in sync, the receiver will again auto-sync the video but the audio is still looking for a certain bit pattern, which no longer exists. When you reset the receiver, it goes through the entire satellite sync procedure and the video and audio returns until the next time the feeds change and the sync isn't perfect. On my receiver, I don't have to turn off-on the receiver. I just have to change channels (one channel up or down then back) and the audio returns. Anyway, that's a theory. I would try a couple of things. First, make sure you have the lastest software loaded on your receiver from Pansat. I would also switch from the east coast feed to the pacific feed (or the other way around if necessary) and see if you lose the picture and audio then. Good luck.

I am getting a special feed from ION and it is not a matter of switching feeds. I run my receiver through a leightronix mini-t switcher so I only use composite outputs.

I like your theory about the audio and video sync. I"m going to find out from Ion Media what receiver we should be using. I'll keep updating here. As for the software update..I believe it is updated as of when we purchased it and had it installed

E

I talked to the guy at ION today and he told me that they use a Wagner 4600 receiver. He also told me that there is a new satellite at 105 degrees that came online around thanksgiving that could interfere. There is also one at 102 degrees, that includes directv 10.

There is no C-Band at 105...just KU. edit: there is a C-Band satellite there but everything is DCII on there

DirecTV is at 103 also but that is KA Band and not C-Band

AMC4 (101W) has C-Band but that shouldn't mean much as you have a big enough dish to reject next door satellite interference. My 6 footer can get AMC1 & AMC4 at the same time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Three input Cable switch

BSC 621 issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts