Partial Signal Loss (00-00-00)

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
I have been having an intermittent problem with a 00-00-00 code (722k) saying there is a partial signal loss. If I press guide or menu, the channel pops right back up, and I can rewind to before the instance and can't tell anything went wrong. If I watch a recording made recently, there is never a signal problem. I've had this happen on many of the Sat channels, SiriusXM, NatGeo, TCM. It can happen once every few minutes or not for several hours. Resetting doesn't improve the issue.

All Eastern Arc sat signals are 55+. Ideas?

Reactions: moonwink
I've been experiencing this very same problem (Partial Signal Loss 00-00-00) for years. Bringing up the guide immediately clears the problem - at least for a few minutes. After an hour or so of this happening, it will stop happening. I tried calling Dish support once but the 1st level agent didn't have any clue about my problem and was a complete waste of my time. I've tried swapping the LNBs without any improvement and then swapped the receivers (I've got a spare). I use the Vip 211k receivers at my house where this is happening. No trees blocking the signal. This randomly happens while the evening news is on between 5 and 6p but sometimes occurs at other times too - even after dark. And always on DISH satellite channels - OTA is it's own set of signal problems where I live.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Is there a reliable fix?

Thanks for asking.
As I stated in my post, my receiver and my spare are both ViP211k models. Yes, I do have an OTA antenna connected.

One other thing of note, when I experience rain fades, the picture pixelates just before I loose the picture. There is no pixelation associated with this outage, the error just pops up and it will stay there unless I press the guide button. When I do, the guide immediately pops up with the picture showing in the corner. Pressing the select button returns me to the normal picture until it decides to reoccur again at some random time. After an hour or so, it stops until the next day.

Thanks for asking.
As I stated in my post, my receiver and my spare are both ViP211k models. Yes, I do have an OTA antenna connected.

One other thing of note, when I experience rain fades, the picture pixelates just before I loose the picture. There is no pixelation associated with this outage, the error just pops up and it will stay there unless I press the guide button. When I do, the guide immediately pops up with the picture showing in the corner. Pressing the select button returns me to the normal picture until it decides to reoccur again at some random time. After an hour or so, it stops until the next day.
When you see this, try this. Look at the OTA channel you last watched, you don't need to be tuned to it when you get this drop out. If the signal strength of that channel is weak you will get the signal loss error. If this is the case, and I bet it is, tune to a different, stronger, OTA channel and your errors will go away. If your OTA signal is generally flaky you may need to strengthen it.

That makes sense - but. I get constant drop outs around the clock using OTA because of my awful location. I've tried big antennas and amplified antennas and amplified big antennas. LTE filters provide a tiny bit of help but whenever a plane crosses between the transmitter and the antenna or a car goes up and down the street, I loose the picture for a couple of seconds. My house has several large hills (small mountains) between it and the transmitters. The OTA picture only drops for a couple of seconds and always comes back - day and night. When I get the 00-00-00 error, the picture will not come back on it's own - I've tried waiting it out. The 00-00-00 errors occur 99.9% of the time during the day and then only for an hour or two between 4p and 7p. I thought at one time they were related to solar fade but I don't think they occur at the right time for that - the shadow of the LNBs isn't centered on the dish when they occur. The 00-00-00 errors do quit after a month or so - I've never kept a calendar for them though but I'm going to start.

That makes sense - but. I get constant drop outs around the clock using OTA because of my awful location. I've tried big antennas and amplified antennas and amplified big antennas. LTE filters provide a tiny bit of help but whenever a plane crosses between the transmitter and the antenna or a car goes up and down the street, I loose the picture for a couple of seconds. My house has several large hills (small mountains) between it and the transmitters. The OTA picture only drops for a couple of seconds and always comes back - day and night. When I get the 00-00-00 error, the picture will not come back on it's own - I've tried waiting it out. The 00-00-00 errors occur 99.9% of the time during the day and then only for an hour or two between 4p and 7p. I thought at one time they were related to solar fade but I don't think they occur at the right time for that - the shadow of the LNBs isn't centered on the dish when they occur. The 00-00-00 errors do quit after a month or so - I've never kept a calendar for them though but I'm going to start.
If you can't get a solid signal OTA then you are stuck with subbing to DISH's locals. It's your only choice.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've always paid for the locals but would love to drop them in favor of OTA if only I could find a way to get a good steady signal. Signal strength constantly goes from the 70s and higher to 0 and then comes right back after the receiver assembles the picture again. Some channels are better than others but they all do that. I'm about 30-35 miles from the transmitters - some a little closer but there's no way to set up an antenna higher than the terrain to get a clear view. I'm pretty sure the signal bounces around getting to me causing the problems.

I see the 722 was known to have this problem. Have you heard of anyone with 211k complaining? Like I said, I've tried swapping receivers and nothing changed. I've got a 3rd one on my motorhome with a Winegard Carryout GM1518 antenna. I use it in different locations though and don't remember experiencing the 00-00-00 thing with it.

I see the 722 was known to have this problem. Have you heard of anyone with 211k complaining? Like I said, I've tried swapping receivers and nothing changed. I've got a 3rd one on my motorhome with a Winegard Carryout GM1518 antenna. I use it in different locations though and don't remember experiencing the 00-00-00 thing with it.
The VIP receivers, 211 and 722 have this issue. If you are using an OTA antenna on that 211 with the adapter and not seeing the issue in other places you have proved that your home location is the culprit.

The OTA "adapter" for the 211 is built in - not an add on device.

I bought a "Wally" a few years ago but it's still in the box. After looking it over, I decided to leave it there even though I bought all the adapters to make it functionally the equivalent of the 211k.

The VIP receivers, 211 and 722 have this issue. If you are using an OTA antenna on that 211 with the adapter and not seeing the issue in other places you have proved that your home location is the culprit.
*points above*

Moonwink, this is the problem. I'm confused why it is the problem, but it was indeed the issue, and I solved it by changing the OTA channel I was on before going over to the Sat channels. If you can't get channels OTA, you should stop trying and the issue should go away. Turn off the OTA channels in the guide.

This happens on my 622 when I have a weak signal OTA station last tuned and I am currently watching a satellite channel. Tune to your strongest OTA channel and then you won't have that error message when you're watching a satellite channel.

This is most likely the answer.
I should have said thanks for the help roughly 8 years ago.

I want to thank everyone for the education I've received here.

I wouldn't have connected the OTA drop outs with the satellite channels but now understand there is one. The strange thing is this only happens at certain times of the day during certain times of the year. It's not an all day or all year issue - just a PITA when it happens.

Dish should list it as a "feature" of their receivers and tell their first level support about it so that they'll know what to tell users like me when we call asking why it's happening.

Thread necromancy? Why not. Still me, still the same receiver. The EHD goes back to the 2011 FA Cup final... so this one is an oldie. And it just occurred to me how old the EHD is!!!

Seems like a bad time for my 722k to be making with the 00 00 00 issue, watching TV at times can be unwatchable, whether OTA or Sat. It did this a long long while ago, but resolved itself somehow. This was after the OTA solution above. I have 100% signal OTA (as in via an antenna to the OTA module) that are going to the 00 00 00 screen. Check Switch, test, unplug, none of it changed anything.

I'm at peace with putting the 722k to rest (no I'm not) and moving to a Hopper 3. Doesn't sound like we are there yet though with Dish.

Reactions: charlesrshell