This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Passive AVR and powered subwoofer?

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
My son has a Onkyo HT-R391. This receiver has a passive sub. Uses One speaker wire 1 Positive ,1 Negative. I would like to upgrade his sub because I bought a new one. The sub I would like to add is a Energy 10.3 sub. I am not sure if I can do that and if so how I would wire it. Any thoughts? Thanks. Here is a pic of the Enery hookups

Yes. Connect the subwoofer output of the receiver to the binding post inputs (speaker level) on the subwoofer. I believe you would only need to connect to the left one.

Reactions: budda
Thanks. Quick follow up. My left, or left speaker? Sorry. Just want to be sure. Kinda like turn left right. Right, no I mean correct. turn left. lol

Traditionally, the connector on the sub labelled left. Don't think it really matters.

Thanks. I just got a new set of speakers and I am trying to kelp him upgrade. But he has a surround in a box and I don't want to damage it. I have never had a AVR without RCA connecter for the sub. My current AVR is a Denon X4000 love it! thanks again