Pathway X2--how long of a cable can you use and still have it be effective? and how does the length of cable effect the signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jweems

Original poster
Jan 26, 2020
Summerdale, AL
I am in a heavily forested campground, and using the 25' to 50' cable I cannot find an open space to "see" the right satellites. However with a run of about 400' I can get to an open area with a good view of the satellites, but the x2 just does not seem to be able to function it "wherrs" and moves somewhat but never seems to be able to lock on to the satellites. I have used this same x2 in areas where it has a clear view and is within 25-50 ' and it works fine. Comments and recommendations Please?

There is no way you'll get any signal down 400' of cable. OK, MAYBE if you had some kind of amplifier at about the 200' mark.

From what I read online, the maximum supported length for the Pathfire X2 is 50'. It might work longer than that, but whether it's 60', 75' or 100', who knows.

I had a 100' piece on mine once and seemed to work okay... Didn't keep it long enough to try anything longer

RG11 would likely work for a longer distance than RG6 since the bigger wire has less voltage and signal loss. 400' would still be well beyond even that capability for any coax powered automatic dish though. RG11 is much stiffer to work with. I've tested my full faced Dish 1000.4 manually aimed dish at 350' with RG6 in 50' segments, so it would likely do 400' as well with fewer segment connections and the much lighter current draw of just the LNB versus the auto-aiming domes with their motor drives.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Doesn't anyone make a (generic?) booster amp? There's got to be a market for that.
The amp would need to be bi-directional for the signals, and a repeater/booster for the voltage. If we knew whether the distance issue was just voltage related, it might make sense to construct a voltage injector that could be placed closer to the dish. Incorporating a bi-directional amplifier with the injector would certainly add complexity and cost though, and it's likely there's only a small market for such a device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)