Help with 40 remote

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
We just got a new Hisense 65U6G 4K TV.
My wife uses and likes her Dish 40.0 remote. I can pair the remote, so it will turn the TV on and off and adjust volume. It will also display input menu and scroll down the menu. But it doesn't select the input for the Dish Hopper 3. It just highlights it.
How can I make my wife happier

By the way the TV image and sound looks great, compared to my TCL Roku 55" series 4, which I thought was good.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I suspect you are in "limited" mode, but I don't really underststand that mode very well. I have a Hisense 4K Roku TV and a paired 40 which does what yours does. We use the TV's remote to control the Roku part and select inputs. I set it to default when turned on to the H3.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It will also display input menu and scroll down the menu. But it doesn't select the input for the Dish Hopper 3. It just highlights it.
I take it you've tried to hit the Select button on the Dish and that it just doesn't work, right? You might be able to go into the learning mode and use the Select button (or whatever it may be called) on your TV's remote and assign it to a button on the Dish remote.

I finally broke down and called Dish tech support.
They explained that no Dish remote is expected to operate more than on/off and volume. Any other functionality is accidental and may be corrected if they become aware of it.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I finally broke down and called Dish tech support.
They explained that no Dish remote is expected to operate more than on/off and volume. Any other functionality is accidental and may be corrected if they become aware of it.

:facepalm

What I suggested above still might work if you want to give it a shot, despite the bs that their "support" was feeding you. In fact, I took a quick screen shot for you below. The description of the function specifically states it was designed to teach such missing commands to the Dish remote. I know I've used this to teach Dish remotes nearly every single function from a TV remote where the pre-configured codes weren't working for me. Once you go into the "Teach Commands", it will walk you through how to do it using the TV and Dish remotes together.

1625365112353.png

:facepalm

What I suggested above still might work if you want to give it a shot, despite the bs that their "support" was feeding you. In fact, I took a quick screen shot for you below. The description of the function specifically states it was designed to teach such missing commands to the Dish remote. I know I've used this to teach Dish remotes nearly every single function from a TV remote where the pre-configured codes weren't working for me. Once you go into the "Teach Commands", it will walk you through how to do it using the TV and Dish remotes together.
That's a good idea. Although, like TheKrell , I wonder if Limited Mode is simply on, which disables the ability to use the white TV button with Input to change TV inputs

My wife uses and likes her Dish 40.0 remote. I can pair the remote, so it will turn the TV on and off and adjust volume. It will also display input menu and scroll down the menu. But it doesn't select the input for the Dish Hopper 3. It just highlights it.

By the way the TV image and sound looks great, compared to my TCL Roku 55" series 4, which I thought was good.
On one of our TV's, the 40.0 remote displays the input menu and scrolls through the selections by repeatedly pressing the input button. The "Select" button does nothing, but with the desired device highlighted doing nothing switches to that input after a few seconds. I haven't tried using the learning mode to fix it because it's just something we've gotten used to.

On one of our TV's, the 40.0 remote displays the input menu and scrolls through the selections by repeatedly pressing the input button. The "Select" button does nothing, but with the desired device highlighted doing nothing switches to that input after a few seconds. I haven't tried using the learning mode to fix it because it's just something we've gotten used to.
Ahh yeah, I forgot, you have to scroll through the inputs by hitting Input repeatedly

I will try waiting. but I think we may have already tried that. Also the volume button, in addition to adjusting the volume brings up a picture mode selection menu that doesn't go away.
My solution, I ordered a new remote from Amazon for $7. When it arrives on Wednesday hopefully the problems will be solved, as soon as I teach her to use it.

Reactions: Bobby and NYDutch
I will try waiting. but I think we may have already tried that. Also the volume button, in addition to adjusting the volume brings up a picture mode selection menu that doesn't go away.
My solution, I ordered a new remote from Amazon for $7. When it arrives on Wednesday hopefully the problems will be solved, as soon as I teach her to use it.
Are you sure you have tried all of the possible pairing codes for your brand of TV with the 40 remote? Sometimes there is more than one code that will work for Power on/off and Volume. The exact functionality of these buttons (and whether you have functionality at all on other buttons) can vary with different codes, with some codes being better than others. That is why you have to keep testing and playing around with different codes, to make sure you have found the best code for your specific model of TV.

With my older LG same behavior. There was however another button I found that did select the highlighted input but it's been so long I don't remember which one - maybe the page button. Try them all see if you can find one.
On my Samsung it goes to the input by just being highlighted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)