pay again ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jerrybait

Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
i paid for external dvr service for my 211 ....discontinued dish service ...and restarted it last week after 6 months....went to record and got notice to call a # for dvr service do i have to pay again?????

If your service was not on "vacation" then you will be considered a new sub. That means everything will be new.

No he is considered a returning customer; not the same as new customer. After realizing that he dropped E* service (thought he was just saying he stopped the DVR service on the sat rec) most likely you will have to pay again to get back what you had when you left E*.

What a ripoff. If it shows up that he was a former sub then he shouldn't have to pay again every time he turns the service back on.

I don't see a problem in it. The OP left Dish, you want to come back, it is going to cost you. in this case, that is part of the cost of returning.

I don't think Dish Network ever gave the impression that the "one-time" (as in while you are a subscriber or have your account in a status that is not closed--as in the nominal monthly fee (it used to be $5) to allow you to reactivate your account without additional charges should you not have a need for Dish Network services for a number of months) DVR Recording feature fee was somehow a "lifetime" status that would follow you even after you have closed your account as in no longer being a Dish Network subscriber. Even TiVo's "lifetime" service isn't really lifetime. It is for the life of the box. Heck, Dish will replace your busted box and still not charge you an additional DVR Recording feature fee. TiVo aint replacing nothing (after the laughable 90 day warranty) without first getting a boat load of $$ from you.

In any business, once you cease being a customer, closed your account, then you lose your entitlement to the services that whatever fees you paid provided. If you decided to come back to my supply business after you closed your account with me, you bet I expect you to return as an account who has to pay all fees that you paid before you left, and associated set-up new account fees.

Or how about going back to rent the apartment you left, no longer a tenant and ceased paying rent for 6 months ago. Do you really expect the owner to rent it to you at the old rate you were paying? No, you are paying the new market rate that the apartment was advertised for no matter who rents it because, while it may not be to your advantage, it is fair, legal, and ethical. Oh, and you get to pay the fee for your parking space in the garage AGAIN, too. Would you really make the argument to the owner that since you already paid the parking space fee when you FIRST moved in years ago, you shouldn't have to pay it now even though you ceased being a tenant and are returning 6 months later as a renter. Be honest, of course, you would NOT! You may be a familiar face in the apartment complex, but when you cease to be a tenant, you LOSE whatever status you had (rights under rent control as a long time renter, as well), and if you come back, you are charged like a newbie. Government Rent Control starts at the new rent, not the one you had 6 months ago when you ceased to be a tenant. Does this make some sense to you, now?

Last edited:
No he is considered a returning customer; not the same as new customer. After realizing that he dropped E* service (thought he was just saying he stopped the DVR service on the sat rec) most likely you will have to pay again to get back what you had when you left E*.
DVR service on a 211 is a one time fee I dont think you can stop that once you have it

DVR service on a 211 is a one time fee I dont think you can stop that once you have it
Its a One time Fee, WHILE YOUR A CUSTOMER!. If you Cancel or drop service why should they let you keep anything from an account that no loger excists? So if drop my Verizon Internet, and six months later I decide to start up again, They should just give me back my router,modem,and same rate plan as when I left. Yea , OK . This is the real world. I'd be getting charged exactly the same as anyother returning customer.

The question seems to be whether the fee is tied to the individual 211 box or to the account. It could reasonably be done either way, but it appears that DISH considers it tied to the account.

They charge for each 211 on your account but if you have a 722 and want external hard drives on them then it covers any DVR that you want an external hard drive on.

Valid complaint here, IF the account number is the same and the receivers are the same.

If you got a new account and new receivers, tough!

They can't have it both ways. If a returning customer can't get new customer promotions, they should be able to reactivate at the previous level of service with no repeats of "one time" fees.

The question seems to be whether the fee is tied to the individual 211 box or to the account. It could reasonably be done either way, but it appears that DISH considers it tied to the account.

As would the majority of businesses. Some warranties are transferable and Tivo associates it "lifetime" status to the box, but those are uncommon practices. Besides, TiVo desperately needs to allow the "lifetime" service to be transferable because they had to grow the business, and now they are bleeding subscribers. Most healthy companies don't practice the TiVo model.

They charge for each 211 on your account but if you have a 722 and want external hard drives on them then it covers any DVR that you want an external hard drive on.

because one is primarily an archival feature and the other allows recording directly to the HDD.

Valid complaint here, IF the account number is the same and the receivers are the same.

If you got a new account and new receivers, tough!

They can't have it both ways. If a returning customer can't get new customer promotions, they should be able to reactivate at the previous level of service with no repeats of "one time" fees.

If the account was closed then, as in he was not paying a penny to keep it in a status for reactivation, then absolutely . . . bonkers! Some people just don't get it. I've already explained why this does NOT have to be the case in a previous post. How does any business keep its customers? By the customer knowing that if they leave a company as a client, they lose the status they have now. Otherwise everyone would be playing Direc TV one day, then switching to cable, then switching to Dish, then back to Direct with all the previous status, then back to Dish not having to lose any of the previous status. Unfortunately, we have a system that encourages dis-incentive to close an account. It is just a fact of capitalistic life. That's the way it works. Not they ANY of us would like it to; we are all with you in WISHING that were the case, but it's not, and it is ethical.

Now, if the account was "asleep" for the very extended period of 6 months, then I think it is up to the company to decide about having to pay the fee again. I personally wouldn't like it if they charged again, but it would still be ethical, but not as customer friendly. If we don't like it, then we give our business to someone else. Hello Direct TV or cable. That is how we "vote" in this country.

Last edited:
Guys it's not like AIDS or Herpes, you don't have it "forever" ; you leave - you lose - end of story.

Want to see both D and E start standing their corporate ground - only way to continued profitability for either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts