Paying Bill Early on AutoPay

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
Today I added Showtime to my package and eliminated Platinum HD(Never Watched)Question Ive got, my Bill last month was paid in full and since Ive added Showtime it is now showing a 20.32 balance(I figure this is when you add then they prorate,plus a credit on Platinum.)I dont want a big balance next month ,could I go in and pay the new balance early.Anyone ever do this.Just dont want a big Bill next month and since I have money now to pay it would rather pay on it now.

I've never done it, but there should be nothing keeping you from making a payment, which would theoretically reduce your next autopay.

If the statement has already been generated though, they might take the full amount anyway and the reduction wouldn't show till next month.

Couldn't you just save the money until next month? I've never understood why people want to give up their money early!

Couldn't you just save the money until next month? I've never understood why people want to give up their money early!
Because I dont want to have a big balance on my account,and its not giving up money early if its charged to you already anyway.I just dont like carrying over a big balance.Doesnt make right or wrong ,its a choice I make.

I think it just makes things more confusing. I paid a couple days early once because I wanted to switch from a credit card to my debit. The system said I had to pay my balance if I wanted to switch cards. I did that. I then was charged on my credit card as well anyway. I carried a negative balance until the next bill as a result of being double charged. You could probably pay that 20 bucks or whatever it is, but it might make it harder to understand your bill, if you add and remove stuff it's always a pain in the *** to figure out how they bill you for stuff.

Last edited:
Because I dont want to have a big balance on my account,and its not giving up money early if its charged to you already anyway.I just dont like carrying over a big balance.Doesnt make right or wrong ,its a choice I make.

If you are paying it early (as you suggested) then it is giving up your money early. I think what the others are saying is right regarding a month "lag" so you would end up paying and being charged. But again, the statement "I just don't like carrying over a big balance" really makes no sense at all.

I was on auto-pay and I always paid my bill before the due date. I gave Dish my credit card when I signed up for it and I didn't want them to bill that card so I just paid online using my check card.

Yes you can pay part of it or all of it. Autopay only takes what's remaining after your manual payment. I do it all the time.

You can prepay all you want on your Dish account. You could for example estimate your annual bill and make one big payment to them if you do not want monthly billing. If you want to pay cash there are many check cashing places that will pay your Dish bill, and you can do it in advance (they just need your dish account number).

I dont like big balances either, and it CERTAINLY is your choice. Some of us like to get our obligations out of our checking accounts so we can play with what's left.

Might be a fluke, but I paid my bill via my bank 4 times in a row even though I have autopay, and somehow autopay got cancelled. it scared me a bit since I have Cinemax for a Penny, but I added autopay back on (think it was only turned off for a few days to a week), and i still have Cinemax for a Penny, but I stopped paying early for now, and just let E* take the money. kinda annoying since i reconcile my account to the penny, and I have to wait a couple of weeks for the damn thing to post to my bank account.

Thank you for the replies .I really just wanted to see if there were anylike minded people out there like me.When I purchase most anything I like to pay immediately and not wait until later down the line to pay.
Its the same in my Business life ,I own a Business and pay my Employees weekly as I dont like owing alot of money.Just a personal preference.In the 10 years Ive been with Dish I have never been late with bill(oftentimes early ,even without autopay).Doesnt hurt your credit either..

Doesnt hurt your credit either..

Paying early doesn't help it either. In fact if you pay credit cards off before it shows the billed balance then many won't report it as a monthly current payment (they don't report it at all), which can lead to a lower overall credit score than if you had a registered on time payment that month. But you are 100% right, it is your choice. Sorry for implying that it wasn't.

What I meant was.

Paying early doesn't help it either. In fact if you pay credit cards off before it shows the billed balance then many won't report it as a monthly current payment (they don't report it at all), which can lead to a lower overall credit score than if you had a registered on time payment that month. But you are 100% right, it is your choice. Sorry for implying that it wasn't.

I am sorry what I meant was ,not my National Credit score ,but my Personal Credit Standing with Dish,you can kind of use it as leverage when trying to upgrade especially if you ask to speak to Customer retention.Thats how I upgraded to HD receiver without costing me anything.

If you do it immediatly then your fine. If you do it too close to the autopay date, the autopay will take the higher amount out as if you did not make a payment at all.

It will work out on the next billing cycle if this happens, but im the same way when it comes to paying bills but I would personally not mess with it and let autopay hit when it hits and be done with it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)