Paying for locals I get 4 Free? DVR Locals?

sherrlon

Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Atlanta Area
I am a long time Dish Network customer and am about to get Turbo HD. I have an Hd antenna and get pretty good Hd quality locals for free. I am debating whether it is worth me paying the 5.00 extra a month?
Can someone explain why dish makes you pay 5.00 extra for locals for the HD package when all they do is hook an HD antenna up for you(that is my understanding?)

What I don't know is, if there is anyway to route my Locals into my DVR for recording. Right now I just use the built in tuner in my tv. Does the 755 that I would get have a digital TV in?

If anyone gets locals via an antenna and knows the best way to be able to record them on your dvr, I would be greatful.

Thanks
Sherrlon

You are paying for the guide info, otherwise all your channels will say digital service and you will have to set manual timers like on a vcr. Just connect your antenna to the 722 and scan for locals, they will show up but without guide data unless you pay Dish.

You don't have to pay to see the locals through the antenna. But then you need to manually set any timers for any programs you want to DVR. As posted above, the $5 is for guide info.

If you get locals from Dish, you'll also be able to record more than one local channel at a time. Otherwise you're stuck with only the one input.

If you watch your locals much the $5 is money well spent, IMO. You'll get the guide data (I think that alone is worth it), plus if you have a dual tuner dvr (622 or 722) you'll be able to record 3 programs at one time, one off your antenna (that connects to the dvr) and two off the satellite.

AND... if you run you OTA antenna cable to a splitter right at the receiver and TV, you can run a connection to EACH (the satellite receiver AND the TV).

In doing so you'll be able to record 3 (2 satellite and one OTA) things at once and STILL watch OTA programming direct to the TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts