Paying for unreturned equipment converts to legally owned

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JJinVista

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I've cancelled my Dish account, and now I'm looking at the big empty box they've sent me for returning my Vip722DVR. Dish gave me a pass on climbing up to my 2nd story roofline and removing the LNB for return, so now it just comes down to this: If I keep the 722 receiver instead of returning it, the net cost is $182 ($199 fee less their $17 shipping), and if I ever go back to Dish, I would want to have this receiver as a 2nd box to get the setup which I prefer.
So I called Dish customer service and they confirmed that I would be charged for the kept receiver, and it would convert to a "legally owned" box which I could keep or sell; it would not have its serial number blacklisted in any way. They also noted my account to state what they told me.
This is at odds with what they say in their cancellation email, stating that my receiver is obsolete, that I shouldn't attempt to sell it, and it cannot be used by another Dish customer.
I get the part about having to activate the receiver under a valid account to use it, but I'm not sure why they issue a misleading email.
Any thoughts or comments?

I've cancelled my Dish account, and now I'm looking at the big empty box they've sent me for returning my Vip722DVR. Dish gave me a pass on climbing up to my 2nd story roofline and removing the LNB for return, so now it just comes down to this: If I keep the 722 receiver instead of returning it, the net cost is $182 ($199 fee less their $17 shipping), and if I ever go back to Dish, I would want to have this receiver as a 2nd box to get the setup which I prefer.
So I called Dish customer service and they confirmed that I would be charged for the kept receiver, and it would convert to a "legally owned" box which I could keep or sell; it would not have its serial number blacklisted in any way. They also noted my account to state what they told me.
This is at odds with what they say in their cancellation email, stating that my receiver is obsolete, that I shouldn't attempt to sell it, and it cannot be used by another Dish customer.
I get the part about having to activate the receiver under a valid account to use it, but I'm not sure why they issue a misleading email.
Any thoughts or comments?

You should be able to pay Dish in order to have that receiver purchased. Just make sure they make the proper notes on our account. As long as you have a zero balance with them you shouldn't have any problems in the future with Dish.

I would definitely send it back. If you decide to go with Dish again in the future, you might want the Hopper which makes the 722 useless. You can buy a 722 new for $199 if you ever decide you needed to buy. You gain no savings in any fees with owning your own equipment. The only "savings" you get is that you do not have to have a 2 year contract. So, I would keep my money in hand, and if I decided in the future to go back to dish and wanted to own my own equipment, I could buy at the same price.

Also you do have the option of not using their ARS label and paying less to ship it back yourself.

Honestly, it makes no sense to keep it now. Even if you go back, you will have a new account number, so all the DVR'd programming will be removed from it. Also, lets say you want a 722 in the future, you can likely buy one for less to own in the future. The biggest benefit would be to send it back. Also, depending on when you went back with Dish, the 722 may possibly be reaching its life of obsolescence, but there are none of us who know when/if that will happen. So, ultimately, you could jsut be paying for a brick, if you pay for it right now.
The obsolete receivers, are not the VIPs. All VIPs are still current receivers. Obsolete receivers will only be the QPSK ones(4 digit receivers, 301,501,508,381,111)

... If you decide to go with Dish again in the future, you might want the Hopper which makes the 722 useless...

Can the 722 not coexist with the hopper on a single dish antenna? I like having two DVRs in the house so if one box fails I'm not dead in the water.

Reactions: old corps
Not on the same account. You would need seperate accounts, and depending on your setup, possibly a DPP44 Switch.

With seperate accounts, and "addresses", you can Bobby. Granted that is placating the business rules.... It is just technically possible.

Can the 722 not coexist with the hopper on a single dish antenna? I like having two DVRs in the house so if one box fails I'm not dead in the water.

+1
Same here. I have a 722 & 722k and that's one of the reasons I've not went with a hopper/joey. When one receiver takes a dump (it's happened a couple of times in the last few years) we're fine until the replacement arrives.

Ed

Reactions: TheKrell
+1
Same here. I have a 722 & 722k and that's one of the reasons I've not went with a hopper/joey. When one receiver takes a dump (it's happened a couple of times in the last few years) we're fine until the replacement arrives.

Ed
So, get 2 Hoppers then. More tuners for the same low fee price as 2 722s.

Reactions: JSheridan

Unfortunately Dish will not allow 722s on the same account as a Hopper. Returning the 722 gives you more options, you can buy a 722 in the future if you really needed it, but Dish may have some new tech that you decide you want instead. Perhaps a 2 hopper system, or a Hopper and a 211 with an EHD as a backup DVR. Essentially you have all the options still available.

The 722 is approaching 5 years or more old, it is selling for about $100 on eBay right now.

If you want to help Dishes bottom line go ahead and pay $200 for a $100 receiver, otherwise, be smart and let Dish provide you with a fresh receiver if/when you decide to come back.

Reactions: Mark609 and ChadT41
As stated, return it. IF you come back, and IF you want a ViP722 and IF such receivers are still allowed, you'll get one a lot cheaper than they are asking you for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts