PBS HD CHANNELS COMING IN CHOPPY/ DIGITIZED ON AMC 21 ON MY COOLSAT 8000. HELP!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chipoole

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Hi, I recently got my dish pointed on amc 21 (125w). My siginal strenth is 99% and my quality is 82% on my coolsat 8000. Create and World come in fine but the 3 PBS hd channels come in slightly digitized/ blocky, yet the audio is perfect. Does anyone know what would cause this or fix this issue? Maybe there is a setting I have over looked. Thanks for any help on this issue, Chip

Skew the lnb a bit see if that helps

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hard to say, but sounds like it is having trouble with the HD/dvb-S2 combo.

Sent from my DROID RAZR via Satelliteguys Reader

Coolsat 8000's have that problem with alot of the HD DVB-S2 as I remembered when I had one.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hi, thanks for the input. I managed to increase the quality to 94%. I also tried to fine tune the lnb skew too but with no luck. Can anyone else confirm that the coolsat 8000 will not work with these channels(the three pbs hd channels on amc 21)? Does anyone think it maybe a possible firmware issue? I just got the coolsat so I am still learning about this model.

I have a CS-8000 and it plays these fine. I use it more than my other 2 boxes. (Pansat 9200 that doesn't have the S2 board & AZBox that runs kinda hot so I only use it on 4:2:2 mostly) The CS 8000 sees the most action & I haven't had trouble with PBS.

Less Choppy/ digitized, the exact words I used to descibe the effect from switching to PLL LNBs. While there was no real signal strenth improvement, the picture is wonderful. Do you have LNB problems? Frequency drift?

more info

Where are you located?
What sort if dish are you using? Fixed/motorized? Size?
What LNB / LNBF / feedhorn are you using?
What version firmware do you have on the Coolsat 8000?
Where did you "just get the Coolsat"?
Describe your cable run and switches.

edit: where is the 8000 mounted? Any chance it's overheated?

Thanks for all of the responses. Thanks for confirming the pbs hds on your coosat, Eurosport. What firmware are you running, maybe that will help.

I never have had lnb problems of anysort before. I am currently running a gt.lst40 0.2db lnb that is rather new. I am located in southern central ohio. I am using a huges net 36x24 dish. My coolsat says sofware 11.42.1F. I got the coolsat from ebay. I am using a coolsat disqc switch and then a 100ft of quad sheild rg6. The receiver is in a well ventilated area with nothing on top or around. I took the box out to the dish today to try and fine tune it but nothing changed. I get oeta, okla, world and create and vme just fine, however I would still like to get the pbs hd channels too. Thanks again for any help on this issue.

Thanks for confirming the pbs hds on your coosat, Eurosport. What firmware are you running, maybe that will help.

I never have had lnb problems of anysort before. I am currently running a gt.lst40 0.2db lnb that is rather new. I am located in southern central ohio. I am using a huges net 36x24 dish. My coolsat says sofware 11.42.1F.

Mine has S/W version 2.02.5A

possibilities

Mine has S/W version 2.02.5A
Don't want to jump to any conclusions, but maybe your 11.42.1F firmware is/was a hacker version.
We have a Firmware Download department for factory versions.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3&page=2
I don't see comments saying what versions we have, but this may be an avenue to explore.

Also , that elliptical dish isn't matched by an elliptical feedhorn, so you're getting some unnecessary noise.
If you have a round dish to match that LNBF, or the original feedhorn from your dish, it'd be worth trying.

I am using a huges net 36x24 dish.
My coolsat says sofware 11.42.1F.

As Anole pointed out, I also think your version may be hackerware.

Also, I'll add that dish size may also be a factor. I have a 1.2m Channel Master dish on 125w, and it was a bear to tune. Real good performance but it took me a WHILE (& several PM's to Iceberg for pointers) to get it locked onto this bird.

To this day I can't watch Montana even with a good signal but that's another topic entirely... :)

Those three channels are high bit rate Mpeg4. You will likely have the same problem with NHK 1080i on 58W and even NBC HD on 103W. Since other CS-8Ks are doing fine with those three PBS channels, I suspect a firmware issue that causes a bottleneck in your machine.

Hi, Thanks for everyones input on the subject. I wish the previous owner would have updated with a factory file before they sold the coolsat to me. I do not condone stealing of satellite signals. I enjoy only free tv. Now I have a new problem. I have tried to update my file for over 5 hours and I don't know what else to do. I feel like I have tried everything. If someone can give a quick run down of the upgrade process that might be helpfull. After I upgrade the firmware I will let you guys know if it helped with the pbs signals. Thanks again, your pal Chip

I upgraded an 8100 with the 2.025A factory firmware after picking it up used. Best 20.00 tech deal I ever made.

I can't seem to find the most important links I used as reference at the moment, but if I do I will update my post to include them. Of course, the most helpful info I found when consulting the great oracle Google was on this site before I became a regular member.

My understanding is the same firmware I used on the 8100 can be used on the 8000. I can not confirm that first hand.

But I can confirm that I was unable to update the firmware through USB stick booting. You may come across a mention in other posts of needing to use the serial cable loader method. I believe that it is what I had to do before I was successful.

Load the clear_sw.bin first to give it some digital Mr. Clean, then apply the 2.025A.

It's been a long time since I updated my CS8k,so don't consider this carved in stone.
If I remember correctly,the 8000 firmware is different from the 8100,updates must be done via the serial port with a null cable (pretty sure but not positive on that).I have the pirate version on mine because that came out first and the factory firmware is just the pirate software with the pirate stuff removed.Towards the end the pirates were the only ones providing the support for Coolsat.
Anyway if you were trying to update with a straight serial cable try a null,if you were using a null try a straight,it really shouldn't take more than a minute or two to update.
And last you can't update via USB because the 8000 doesn't have a USB port,the USB on the 8100 is just for the DVR.

Thank you Waylew! I was using a straight cable instead of a null type. I simply rewired my staight cable and then it updated with no problem. Also, the firmware update fixed the reception issue on the hd Channels located on amc 21. Thanks again to all who help me solve this problem. Here's to you guys & gals, Cheers , your pal Chip.

Great news!

So, just for the record, what firmware are you using now, and where did you find it?

edit: and for the sake of completeness, what are Signal level and Quality?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)