PBS on the chopping block!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, I think it would be a dis-service to the nation to lose them, but there are many people whose first priority is not " of the people" , as Abraham Lincoln so eloquently spoke. "and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth" .

And Thomas Jefferson once said: "Holy crap, Madison! You call this swill beer? Next time Adams brings the alcohol. You stick to the potato salad. Worst damn 4th of July picnic I've ever been to."

The founding documents of PBS prefer the preservation of local content, which is basically a non-economical thing to do. However, in some cases, it has resulted in superior programming. Other cases, not so superior. Perhaps, much the same logic that is used by localalites to required public access programming of their cable providers.

I understand that at least in the case I posted a couple of those channels do produce a program or two on their own but its shown on the other stations tape delayed. Really the only thing that isnt is KAWE has a weeknight news program that is only on there

(With regard to the Brentb's recent post)

No need to apologize for disagreeing. You're allowed. This board is EXCELLENT at polite arguments.

However, in the case here, I AM a broadcaster and the FCC and the Government don't do a DAMN thing to help me out. In fact, they get in my way half the time with policies, paperwork, and fees that NPR/PBS don't have to do or pay. I have to make it on my own. So does everyone from your hometown radio station, to the low-power TV stations in small markets like Muskegon, MI to the "New" networks we're all so excited to enjoy via our FTA receivers that brings us all to this site. Right up to the big Network TV on the "commercial" channels. Like it or not, the government is playing favorites by helping to fund any public broadcasting, and they're doing it with your money and mine. Personally, I think they need to Knock it off. I work for my money, and to build my broadcasting stations without their help!

And, you are partially correct! (quote) "Our nation's founding documents have NOTHING to do with fairness to businesses" (end quote)

Our nations founding documents ALSO said nothing about guaranteeing Public TV, or for that matter my argument of buying Digital TV converter boxes for the millions. You reinforced my statement on that! "Life, LIberty and the right to watch TV" is not how it was written. (PBS, OTA with free converter boxes, or any way at all.)

It's been a fun and spirited discussion! Thanks for the chance, Sat Guys.
Time for this poster to move on.......but the forum here appreciated as always! Much to read on the rest of the site!

I concede may of your logical points regarding "small" businesses who actually personally work for their money ! I despise the advantages given to "big money" businesses, by virtue of their "big money". Microsoft, as a corporation, returns 33% of it's annual investment as return. That's obscene , when many people are losing their jobs, being forclosed on, etc. Other big businesses are doing similary well. I don't mean to pick on Microsoft. This nations tax structures, which currently favor the rich and powerful need to be dialed back to where they were 15 years ago, and the nation wouldn't be faced with the same fiscal urgencies that are currently the news.
:)
(With regard to the Brentb's recent post)

No need to apologize for disagreeing. You're allowed. This board is EXCELLENT at polite arguments.

However, in the case here, I AM a broadcaster and the FCC and the Government don't do a DAMN thing to help me out. In fact, they get in my way half the time with policies, paperwork, and fees that NPR/PBS don't have to do or pay. I have to make it on my own. So does everyone from your hometown radio station, to the low-power TV stations in small markets like Muskegon, MI to the "New" networks we're all so excited to enjoy via our FTA receivers that brings us all to this site. Right up to the big Network TV on the "commercial" channels. Like it or not, the government is playing favorites by helping to fund any public broadcasting, and they're doing it with your money and mine. Personally, I think they need to Knock it off. I work for my money, and to build my broadcasting stations without their help!

And, you are partially correct! (quote) "Our nation's founding documents have NOTHING to do with fairness to businesses" (end quote)

Our nations founding documents ALSO said nothing about guaranteeing Public TV, or for that matter my argument of buying Digital TV converter boxes for the millions. You reinforced my statement on that! "Life, LIberty and the right to watch TV" is not how it was written. (PBS, OTA with free converter boxes, or any way at all.)

A lot of things are going internet/IP based as well. If cheap broadband was available everywhere there is all kinds of content one can get that way. If PBS broadcasts on the internet kind of like what SkyAngel had to do then maybe that would be a cheaper way for them to do it. The main issue is cheap broadband not being available in rural areas.

I am 100% FINE with my tax dollars going to support PBS. I would far, far rather that my tax dollars go towards funding the furthering education of ~everyone~ than towards the killing machine (wars)...

Our priorities are backwards. We have a lot of things that need fixing right here in our country. We need to work for peace, to end the wars and improve things here in our own back yard.
Education is extremely important and we have fallen almost off the scale compared to other countries. All one needs to do is read pretty much anything on the internet, I see countless adults writing at the level of small children. As a nation, we are getting dumber and dumber at a frightening rate!

PBS exists to educate kids (edutainment) and adults. It's not a pinko commie left wing propaganda machine.

You can't get too educated. Too much education is NEVER bad for you.

So what if $10 or $20 a year of your tax dollars go towards PBS? Hundreds or thousands of your tax dollars (depending on your income) go towards the never ending war. You work hard and your money is taken away from you and converted into bullets and bombs and civilians are killed with them around the world. That is not good.

I'm not trying to start a political debate or argument, I'm just trying to point out the absurdity of our priorities.

If viewers supported PBS then this wouldn't be problem. They didn't in Orlando . And it looks like they don't just about every place in the US. I think PBS has great programs but again. Today we have alternatives .

If viewers supported PBS then this wouldn't be problem. They didn't in Orlando . And it looks like they don't just about every place in the US. I think PBS has great programs but again. Today we have alternatives .

People would rather watch Housewives of *whatever* or Glee or America's got Talent or Dancing with the Stars or the countless selection of "reality" programs. None of which have one iota of educational value.

People just want to flop on the couch, pop a beer and press a single button labeled "Entertain me".. :(

While I don't enjoy many of the shows you mention, After a long day of work, I LIKE "entertain me" ...that would be a GREAT button to put on any remote control......to take you to your favorites list! What a GREAT marketing idea! Maybe some FTA receiver manufacturer will see this and do it!

Is it not true that local channels get regular fees for being carried by satellite/cable companies, whereas PBS doesn't, because they are a public broadcaster? Is that the "level playing field" that I hear being mentioned? (remember I'm a Canadian, just asking!)

My take on the "level playing field" is not having governments' subsidizing one broadcasting organization over another in our country. If we pay fees, THEY pay fees, (radio and TV.) They shouldn't get breaks for having the name "public" in their title. They're no more public than small town radio stations in reality of purpose or execution of programming.

If its not Government operated, it should not be government subsidized. I'm not sure what the rules are on the "must carry" on local cable systems and our satellite systems, perhaps someone else can chime in.

If its not Government operated, it should not be government subsidized.

Cool. After reading this whole discussion and staying out as I really didn't have anything much to add to what Dee_Ann said, it's good to know that while we seem to have wide disagreements, you and I at least agree on one thing: Churches should not be tax-exempt. :)

On-subject, PBS really needs to stick around in as independent a fashion as possible, in my view. I love the news content on PBS, and we can see what the quest for ever higher ratings and ad dollars has done to the former news channels like CNN, HLN, etc, which are now basically unwatchable and covered with useless fluff. Same for a lot of kids programming, most of which isn't nearly as educational as what's on PBS, from what I've seen.

- Trip

OETA spent over $10 million building new studios for the digital conversion a couple of years ago and then upgrading the satellite network that everyone around here watches. They have cut over a million dollars from their budget this year and as a result many of the Oklahoma made and produced shows are going on hiatus this week until funding or new sponsorship is found. What state shows that are remaining all begin their new seasons this week. The Oklahoma News Report is cutting back to 1 night a week effective last week. It will return next week in a one day a week news format. As far I know, KRSC, the tv station at Rogers State College in Claremore, OK is the only other PBS outlet in Oklahoma other than the statewide OETA network.

I am 100% FINE with my tax dollars going to support PBS. I would far, far rather that my tax dollars go towards funding the furthering education of ~everyone~ than towards the killing machine (wars)...

Our priorities are backwards. We have a lot of things that need fixing right here in our country. We need to work for peace, to end the wars and improve things here in our own back yard.
Education is extremely important and we have fallen almost off the scale compared to other countries. All one needs to do is read pretty much anything on the internet, I see countless adults writing at the level of small children. As a nation, we are getting dumber and dumber at a frightening rate!

PBS exists to educate kids (edutainment) and adults. It's not a pinko commie left wing propaganda machine.

You can't get too educated. Too much education is NEVER bad for you.

So what if $10 or $20 a year of your tax dollars go towards PBS? Hundreds or thousands of your tax dollars (depending on your income) go towards the never ending war. You work hard and your money is taken away from you and converted into bullets and bombs and civilians are killed with them around the world. That is not good.

I'm not trying to start a political debate or argument, I'm just trying to point out the absurdity of our priorities.

I too support tax dollars for PBS. If they cut the money for public broadcasting it will only end up in some politicians coffers anyway. PBS really has it all....cooking, crafts, home improvement, travel, cartoons, news, nature, comedy, drama, politics. Our family sends in a donation each year........money well spent.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)