PC card for Dish?

sbn1

Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Santa Barbara
I am having a hard time finding current info on this. Does anyone know if I can buy a internal computer card that will recieve the Dish network signal? I would like to split screen my projector to 4 seperate TV signals and I assume I would need 4 seperate Dish tuner/recievers to do this. The best solution would be like the Ceton 4 tuner CableCard for cable TV companies.
I can do this with Cable but our provider wants way too much money to run the cable to my site. I am left with Dish (preferred) or DirectTV as my only viable choices and would like any help from anybody on how 4 signals of these two companies services might be recieved and sent thru a computer (which I will build).
Thanks for any insight.

I am having a hard time finding current info on this. Does anyone know if I can buy a internal computer card that will recieve the Dish network signal? I would like to split screen my projector to 4 seperate TV signals and I assume I would need 4 seperate Dish tuner/recievers to do this. The best solution would be like the Ceton 4 tuner CableCard for cable TV companies.
I can do this with Cable but our provider wants way too much money to run the cable to my site. I am left with Dish (preferred) or DirectTV as my only viable choices and would like any help from anybody on how 4 signals of these two companies services might be recieved and sent thru a computer (which I will build).
Thanks for any insight.

Pretty p;d but this was the last thing I have seen

Media Center DISH Network tuner is on hold indefinitely -- Engadget HD

Thanks for any insight.

There is no card available to receive E* sat via a PC.

You could get two 222k receivers and output tv1 on chan 60 and tv2 on chan 62 all on one line then with the other 222k do the same then but do chan 67 and 69 all on the same line. Then you would connect those two lines to a two way splitter. From the single input of the splitter you will connect that coax line to a pci ATSC runner card of some sort. That's all you need to do. Only problem is, with what you wanna do you will have to have a ATSC card that has four tuners. Sounds like you already do since you said you could get this to work with cable. What you will be doing with the 222ks is converting the output to a different cable channel for each tuner of the receiver

Hawker that could be done but (1) it's all SD and (2) you meant NTSC, not ATSC. The RF output of almost all but the rare 6000 (or was it the 5000?) are analog NTSC signals.

Hawker that could be done but (1) it's all SD and (2) you meant NTSC, not ATSC. The RF output of almost all but the rare 6000 (or was it the 5000?) are analog NTSC signals.
What do u mean it's all SD, is that a problem? And sorry about ATSC, typing on my iPhone

I think that only the OP can say whether any of these workarounds are sufficient.

Neither of these solutions will directly multiplex four channels onto a single split-screen output, but there are two methods of feeding Dish Network transport streams into a computer:

1. Nextcom R5000 - captures original data from certain tuners via USB
2. Hauppauge HD PVR - re-encodes component outputs of any tuner

Perhaps you can find or write software to assemble a split screen output. Regardless, these devices are expensive. If you only want SD, there are much cheaper approaches. In that case the security camera market may provide integrated options.

By "SD" we mean "standard definition", as opposed to "HD" or "high definition" signals such as you get from HDMI or component outputs.

Neither DISH Network nor DIRECTV offer computer-based tuners.

Ignoring the tuner issues, HD quad splitters cost in the thousands. Most of the units seem to require Serial Digital Interface inputs.

HDMI to HD-SDI converters would appear to be available at under $400 per channel. I sincerely doubt that these would pass HDCP muster as display-only devices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts