pc recording and editing from vip 622

dahn

Original poster
May 14, 2006
I need to record and edit sporting events. Just got the vip 622 dvr model, what would you recommend I do and use, to transfer the video to a pc and edit and burn it. Is this even possible? If it isn't, I have to return it and go with something else that will let me do this. Quality of the video is important but not crucial.
Please help. Thanks.

You would need a capture card in your computer in order to transfer the video to your computer to edit and burn. You would have to play the video on the tv and have it record as it is playing just as you would a show on your vcr to get it to your PC. There are supposed to be ways to get the information right from the hard drive but you would have to go to a special forum/site to get that info and I am not sure if you can do that on the 622 or not. I also read a while back where you can add an external hard drive to the 622 in order to get more storage hours. Maybe one can retrive that information from the hard drive. Also you could get the pocketdish to download the data in 15 minutes to that device but I am not sure if someone figured out a way to access it on the computer yet or not which would allow you to record it.

You can get an r5000hd mod, www.r5000hd.com, but they aren't cheap. I think its around $500. The capture card direction would probably be better if quality isn't critical. I think a pretty good card can be had for less than $100. If its of value to you, besides quality of recording, the r5000 mod does support scheduled recordings. This is critical for their solution as they don't support recording shows already on your 622's hard drive, only ones that are live. The r5000 also support HD recording.

Aside from capturing video on your computer, There currently is not any way to capture the data from the 622. Not sure if its encoded or not, or if someone has just not figured it out yet... However on other forums such as on Yahoo there is information on other dish dvr's for capturing the raw unencrypted data off the hard disc... I also seem to remember seeing a usb type device for a different reciever as well....

As a pro video editor myself, remember the fair use laws and dont use copyrighted materials for any other use... especially sporting events, that will get you burned big time...

And dont try and hack anything either, that is illegal as well.... And I hope those that do get burned as well....

Personally, I use the 510 dvr and make dvd copies of movies and shows for my own library to watch later....

I was thinking the data on the 622's hard drive and probably most of the newer model Dish DVR's was encrypted. That's why the Nextcomm guys doing the r5000 mod can only record the live stream. If it's encrypted, then it can't legally be touched.

Look at www.nextcomwireless.com . They make a modification called the R5000 for the 211 or 622 that allows you to record the satellite stream directly to your PC HD before it is encrypted on the PVR HD. Of course you must buy a 211/622 and it is $550 for the mod.

If HD PQ isn't a demand, can you connect a DVD recorder to a 622 and record from it in 480i like you can an HD Tivo?

Jim5506 said:
Look at www.nextcomwireless.com . They make a modification called the R5000 for the 211 or 622 that allows you to record the satellite stream directly to your PC HD before it is encrypted on the PVR HD. Of course you must buy a 211/622 and it is $550 for the mod.
Has anyone heard how this mod is working with MPEG4? Anyone with HD LiL's in MEPG4 got one?

Kirby Baker said:
It works fine with MPEG4. Dont have LiL, but StarzHD and NFLHD record and play just fine if you have the proper tools for playback.
Thanks Kirby. Does it play well with MCE, or is Sage the better choice? I had contacted Nextcom some time ago and was told that the R5000 isn't compatible w/ 64 bit architecture (I'm guessing this rules out a dual core and the upcoming Vista OS?) and that the MyHD card is recommended for playback. As I consider picking one of these up (with a 211) I've been trying to get a handle on the best HTPC configuration that allows for me to integrate everything in my set-up, including an Xbox 360 that I'd like to keep in the loop as a media extender (I don't know if this would work with SageTV?).

The other option I'm weighing is waiting for external HDD support for my 622 but, I'm going to eventually need a second HD receiver anyway and I figure the R5000 might make *cents*. Not to mention that the future of external HDD support still appears to be a little murky.

I realize some of my questions/concerns are outside of the scope of this thread but, putting together the proper tools that work well with other HT components seems to be somewhat tricky business. If you or anyone in SatGuy land has any feedback on this, it'd be much appreciated!

I use Sage, but you wont play MPEG4 in sage yet without some tricks. Basically, you can forget MPEG4 live playback in Sage (and probably MCE too). But you can work around it if you can live without MPEG4 live playback.

My R5000's have run on an AMD X2-3800 without issue, and are currently on a Intel 64bit single core server. (Both running 32 bit OS though)

I suggest for your Sage questions you head over to the Sage forums, there is a long thread there about R5000 integration. Its in the Hardware subforum, dont have a link handy.

I'm going through this with my 522. My family was on a TV reality show (Party Planner) and I wanted to make a DVD prior to giving up the 522 for a 622. I do not have a high end cpture card and the quality thus far has been slightly below VHS (poor). I'm still tweaking the settings but I wish there was a way to take the original directly off the HD. But I guess it would just encourage pirates.

That said... I wasn't aware that one could add an external harddrive to a 622. This I am interested in as I'm always interested in additional capacity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)