Pciture drop with 722

kerbo

Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I'm now on my 3rd 722 since signing up with Dish in Jan. The problem is the picture goes blank (green screen) on my HD TV for a sec or two. This happens a couple of times a day.

The problem still isn't fixed and I'm trying to decide what to do next. The technician says the signal coming into the box is ok. He concluded the problem must be the box or HDMI wire so he replaced the box. I do have a long cable run (100 ft) and the wire was sized accordingly but this isn't the problem as the picture quality is perfect until it drops.

So, back to the 722 box. Is this a known problem? Are other people having similar issues? I ask the technician(s) these questions and can't get any kind of a straight answer.

In the middle of all this, my other box (322) was working ok until a few weeks ago when the picture starting freezing frequently. The technician did a software upgrade saying it will fix the problem. So far so good, although its only been a day.

Should I ask for a 4th 722 box?

I'd have to buy a 100ft component cable to test....not sure I want to make that kind of investment yet.

I've thought about moving the 722 next to the TV. The box is in the basement 2 floors below the TV tucked into a nice hidden closet with all my other wiring. I already a have a coax wire running to the TV and DISH guy left the connectors so its possible with a little work.

Somehow you should use component just to eliminate the possibility of a problem with your long HDMI run. long runs of component are less likely to give you a problem. But if at all possible move that 722 to where the tv is.

The Hdmi Has To Be A Very Good Quality For A 100 Ft Run. You Can Make Comp. Cables Out Of Coax Cable That Way Saves You Alot Of $

I have observed a correlation between green screens and cable failures.

I would expect it to be the long HDMI.

You'll need to run it on a closer TV with a shorter cable for the time it takes you to determine the receiver's condition.

Yes, it makes to sense to test with a shorter cable run. The reason I haven't moved the box is the cable didn't appear to be the problem. If I was getting a consistent pixelation problem, then the cable would be an obvious problem. In my case, there is no problem with with picture quality other than the sudden drop of picture. It seems to me th cable should work or not work.

I guess its possible the receiver may "hiccup" and produce a sudden drop in the signal which would be impacted by the long cable and not impacted with a short cable.

If this is the case, is the receiver the problem? Should it produce a consistent high quality signal 100% of time?

I expect it is an issue with the cable, not the receiver. Only a test will tell.

Yes, I expect that the receiver should continually put out a good picture as long as there is good signal strength/quality. A green screen does not resemble any digital issue with receivers that I have heard of, or witnessed.

But, I have encountered green screens with bad cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)