Peacock TV

The FAQ says that the Stream app will work for Flex subscribers for "purchased and/or rented content and premium subscriptions" which sounds exclusive to me.

The beta version of the Roku Xfinity Stream app doesn't support customers that don't have a video subscription. I expect that other streaming boxes will have the same requirement.

As of last August, Apple TV wasn't supported with an Xfinity Stream app and AirPlay is not available on the iOS streaming app.

I've "taken one for the team" and subscribed to Flex and I'll let you know if my fortunes with the Roku app change.

As I have Xfinity broadband that includes the Flex TV service (first box free) that, in turn, includes Peacock Premium, I may just give it a look. I wasn't really wanting another box but I have a free HDMI port or two.

I can get the Flex box also but I just do not want it, everything is just so easy now with the Roku, if I want OTA, I hit Antenna, if I want DVR I hit the Tablo app, then of course the other apps like Netflix, Disney, Vudu, etc., I like have one remote now,especially with ARC controlling the Receiver, I just do not want another box, if(when) the app comes out on the Roku and is free to Comcast Broadband I will give it a try.

That and the Peacock content just does not interest me, I don’t watch reruns now because there is so much new content that, even retired, I don’t have time to watch it all.

If I wanted to watch, for example, The Office again, I could buy it on itunes ( complete series is on sale for $29.99 this weekend and seems to go on sale every two months) and then watch it on the Roku, I just don’t want to.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I can get the Flex box also but I just do not want it, everything is just so easy now with the Roku.
Of course we're talking Peacock here and if you don't subscribe to Comcast or Cox TV service, you can't get Peacock Premium on Roku for free. I expect that the differences between the two levels of service will be fairly striking.

I've "taken one for the team" and subscribed to Flex and I'll let you know if my fortunes with the Roku app change.
The Roku Xfinity Stream beta app acknowledges my Flex subscription and regrets to inform me that Flex is not available using the Roku app at this time. My free Flex box (Xi6) and voice remote will supposedly arrive in 3-5 days (I didn't want wait at the Comcast store where it took me 45 minutes in a MacDonalds Play Place type atmosphere to turn in a modem on my last visit).

I feel safe in saying that Flex support (including free Peacock Premium) on any streamer other than the Flex box probably isn't going to happen any time soon. Maybe Cox broadband subscribers will have better luck (assuming Cox makes a similar offer to non-TV subscribers).

Peacock app just showed up on my Xfinity X1. Tried to open the app and it led me through a couple screens to order upgraded hardware. My 5+ year old X1 doesn't support 4k and I've been meaning to ask for a newer one anyway. Means I need to catch up on everything on my DVR and write down my timers.

Doubt I will watch any old NBC shows but I'll be ready for new content.

What happens to NBC programming on Hulu?
For now, NBC's shows will keep streaming on Hulu.

The Office will start streaming on Peacock in 2021.

NBC
NBC was a partner in Hulu for years. But last year, NBC and Comcast struck a deal with Disney to give Disney full Hulu control. That deal included terms that essentially allow NBC to have programming stream both on Hulu and on Peacock at the same time.

However, in about two years, NBC has the right (but not the obligation) to take all its programming off Hulu if it chooses.

But "it's too early to tell" whether NBC will want to go that route yet, NBCUniversal Chairman Steve Burke said at the presentation unveiling Peacock in January.

Per article : hXXps://www.cnet.com/news/nbc-peacock-prices-discounts-preorders-devices-launch-date-shows-movies-originals-free/

Reactions: harshness
King of Queens series streaming is something I might check out Peacock for later this summer. So far, I don't think Hulu, Netflix, CBS AA or Amazon Prime has ever had the full series available to viewers (excluding pay per episode if Amazon or Apple had it).

I purchased the DVD set, and when viewing, the sound on my TV has to be increased by double to normal that of other DVDs or live TV. The quality of the set is lower than Bewitched DVD first season. I suppose the Blu Ray version was made well, but it's $111 on Amazon through different sellers.

I have recorded the series via DVR it and built a streaming collection from Lifetime/TV Land though with commercials.

I'm not sure yet of anything else in Peacock that stands out to me.

Received an email from Peacock a couple weeks ago. Some original new content will be available on July 15. One called The Capture looks interesting to me.

Reactions: NashGuy
With such a light ad load, I doubt many folks spend the extra $5 to get it ad-free. If a half-hour sitcom has only two ad breaks, one 90 seconds and one 60 seconds, I'd be OK with that (at least if they don't play the same ad over and over).
I think you've gone a little far out on a limb in your speculation in terms of both duration and frequency.

In the bit that I've used Peacock so far, it turns out the ad load was even lighter than I had speculated. An episode of the sitcom 30 Rock had only 2 ad breaks lasting 45 seconds each. So about 22 minutes of content and only 90 seconds of ads. It was a total of 4 ads and they were all different ads. The one movie I watched on Peacock had all the ads up-front, 3 minutes of them, then the entire movie was uninterrupted.

Without Roku or FireTV this new service will not be a major player. Yes, I realize people watch on their phones, but without the two biggest streaming devices it will severely limit viewership.

You are right with 80 million Roku users and 40-50 million using Fire TV, I feel Peacock will not have the viewership needed. I picked up Peacock for $29.95 for a year, but that was before I found out it will not be on Roku or Fire TV. I can get Peacock from a search engine on the Fire TV or via my Chromcast, but a kind of a clunky way to view the service.

Not on Roku or Fire? That’d be like releasing on a computer but not Windows.

Sounds like they are trying to limit access to the pipe or are there contract issues for streaming on home broadband?

Reactions: TheKrell
I have one of those Flex boxes ( POS by the way) that is free to those who has Comcast ( i have Broadband only), and we get it for free, I have to say it is not even worth free, maybe when they get more original stuff it will be better, but with the virus, new programming will be far away, except for things already filmed.

Sounds like they are trying to limit access to the pipe or are there contract issues for streaming on home broadband?

It all comes down to not wanting to give Amazon or Roku a cut to be in their app stores. Same thing with HBOMax. I personally don't really care about Peacock, at least not yet. I mainly care about HBOMax because there are a couple of shows we watch regularly that are still being produced, and I get it for free with my Gig internet.

Reactions: TheKrell

Both HBO MAX and Peacock will be forced to part of Roku or Fire TV, or else the services will not be successful, with those two devices covering so much of the market.

I splurged and am trying the premium edition. Have been catching up on old shows, not sure in the long term I will keep it, but there are some original shows I would like to try

After I signed up for the free account I got an offer from Amazon Prime for a free 3-month Premium trial. I'm currently watching Psych 2 on my Gen 2 Firestick after side loading the app. Looks good so far!

Reactions: jollygrunt

Its owned by comcast...exclusive to their cable box apps