peaking for 129

RBHD

Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
Hi,

I think my 1000.2 isn't lined up right for 110, 119, and 129. Lots of problems getting Voom HD channels. I've tried searching the web for satellite pointing calculators, but none of them seemed to have info on the Echostar 129 satellite.

Does anyone have a link for a calculator that has this info? Or does any know the elevation, azimuth, and skew for zip code 90277?

Thanks

Hi,

I think my 1000.2 isn't lined up right for 110, 119, and 129. Lots of problems getting Voom HD channels. I've tried searching the web for satellite pointing calculators, but none of them seemed to have info on the Echostar 129 satellite.

Does anyone have a link for a calculator that has this info? Or does any know the elevation, azimuth, and skew for zip code 90277?

Thanks

From what Ive heard, is that the best way is to cover the two outer lnb's with foil. Then set the skew to 90 degrees, peak the dish to 119. Then all you have to do is increase skew till you find the sweet spot for 129 and 110.

You can prob use the rcvr point dish screen to give you azimuth and elev for 119.

Last edited:
You forget to mention - last step should be get max SS for 129W ( use tp27) with some compromise to 110W and 119W.

Good point, my installer left me with a little better 110 than 129. So I moved the dish toward 129 and raised it some while lowering 110. This is the best way since 129 is so much lower than 110.

The best way for you to peak 129 would be to go to the signal screen via menu 611, go to 129 sat and what ever transponder you want will work. Have someone stand at the tv and you go out to the dish. Now if youre getting some 129, then this will work. Ever so slightly without unloosening any bolts, tweak the dish up, down, left , and right. If one direction improves signal quality, then proceed to unloosen the two bolts holding the dish to the mast and move the dish that direction.

Make sure you have all the settings (especially skew) correct for your location.

Enter your Lat/Long from your GPS into:
Satellite Look Angles Satellite Heading Calculator Azimuth Elevation Skew Tilt LNBF Latitude and Longitude values

For satellite position use the midpoint of all slots on the dish. So for 110/119/129 you would use (110+129)/2 = 119.5
Dish skew markings are 90deg off of 0, so to convert real skew to dish skew you add 90 deg. For example:

Dallas, TX
Sat: 119.5

Elevation: 44.7
Azimuth: 217.7
Skew: 30.9

Dish skew: 120.9

If you are already getting some signal, there is no need for meters and calculators and other munbo-jumbo. Just loosen one parameter at a time, probably azimuth first, and then elevation, then skew if needed. Be sure to mark each setting before moving anything, so you can put it back if you make things worse.

Start by peaking 119:

Either have someone inside watch the meter on the TV and communicate with cell phone or walkie-talkie and move the dish right just a tiny bit, see if it's better or worse and then go from there until you get it as high as possible. Tighten up the azimuth bolts and try the same on elevation (don't support the dish by holding the lnb arm) up and down by tiny bits until the signal is the best you can get.

Adjust azimuth to get the best possible signal. When 119 is peaked, look at 129, and adjust the dish (azimuth then elevation) to bring 129 up to acceptable levels. you have to sort of switch back and forth among 110,119 and 129 to try to get them all to good levels, 129 in the 80's (maybe), 110 and 119 in the 90's (Old meter readings - new will be ~30 points lower).

I actually don't loosen the dish first.

I go outside with my tv volume cranked and the dvr on the SS screen. I slightly tug the dish to the left and hold it, the right and hold it and then up and down. This simulates a slight change in AZ and EL. If your tones go down on all movements then you know you're getting the best signal. If you tug to the right and it goes up, change your direction.

I slightly tug the dish to the left and hold it, the right and hold it and then up and down. This simulates a slight change in AZ and EL.
I tried this method with the 24" dish and it deforms the dish. Tugging on the LNB mounting arm (not the LNB assembly itself) is probably a better idea.

Know that leaning on the dish will only tell you if you can do better. To actually get there, you will have to loosen up the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)