Penalty for leaving Dish?

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I have been with Dish a couple of years and there is no contract committment to stay with them. If I leave dish for a sweetheart deal with the cable company, is it a big deal going back to Dish in a year or so?

Would I be eligible for an updated receiver? The one I have now is about 4 years old.

No penalty for leaving now if you have no commitment. You'll have to return certain equipment, any leased receivers and perhaps an LNB or switch. They'll send boxes for the receivers, and probably a tech to retrieve anything else. You can always go back later, but most likely not as a new customer.

Why not contact E* now to see what kind of a deal they will give you for retention and you can upgrade your receiver at the same time ??

Odds are against you getting a good deal from Dish to rejoin, but not impossible. If all of your present receivers are leased, as well as the LNBs, and you have to turn them back in, then it could be pricey to come back.

I returned to Dish as a "returning DHA customer" and got free installation, no activation, and paid $150 for my 622 (normally going for $199 at the time ... used a ClubDish card that the executive office applied). I also got the $10/mo off for something as well as $10/mo off for the HD add-on.

I always assumed that the penalty for leaving Dish was that a black Van with no plates stopped in front of your house, and several large men jumped out and grabbed you and took you to a windowless room where you were strapped to a chair and .... er, I guess I've been watching too much 24... ;)

Cables sweetheart deals end in a " we need to talk " situation 12 months later.

Dish has made some changes lately to returning customers and when I checked I could get the 622 free and a free install.