Perplexed by DirectTV 775, shouldn't be this hard!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
THANK YOU ALL FOR TAKING THE TIME. I believe the issue is location of the power inserter before/after the splitter as many of you have alluded to. Its late, so will try tomorrow, and def post results.
one last question: the wall plate I am trying to relocate the PI to, but results in error 775, is the longest run of coax in my home, the most distant from the splitter. Mean anything?

It could, if it isn't solid core copper, or if the connector inside isn't up to swm specs.

Thank you Chip, today is the big day, as soon as my sore knee allows, will try your advice. Thanks for your input and patience with me, I truly appreciate it, I use many forums for many reasons and it has been a pleasure to connect with you
Also a car lover myself, The Studebaker is gorgeous.

Thanks! It's actually a 1957 Packard, built by Studebaker. They took the President model, glammed it up and called it a Packard. It's really a Studebaker. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

BTW, make sure you use 75 ohm terminators on any open ports on the splitter.

My best guess is that whichever receiver/dvr is on the power passing port is supplying enough voltage to run the lnb, but it's really not sufficient in the long run. The most voltage you can get from a receiver/dvr is 18 volts, but a swm lnb needs 21 to work properly. Move the power inserter to before the splitter and that should solve your problem.

This is what I was thinking as well.

At this point I wonder if he's got a second SWM splitter tucked away in the attic or something. The other question I have is, how are we testing these lines to confirm they are what they're labeled? Going by "that's what they're labeled" doesn't really work to well half the time

At this point I wonder if he's got a second SWM splitter tucked away in the attic or something. The other question I have is, how are we testing these lines to confirm they are what they're labeled? Going by "that's what they're labeled" doesn't really work to well half the time

I was starting to wonder this too ...

My best guess is that whichever receiver/dvr is on the power passing port is supplying enough voltage to run the lnb, but it's really not sufficient in the long run. The most voltage you can get from a receiver/dvr is 18 volts, but a swm lnb needs 21 to work properly. Move the power inserter to before the splitter and that should solve your problem.
If it's an SWM system the receiver does not provide power on the coax.....you only get 18v if it's a "legacy" system...

Particularly the one on the power passing port.

I have not tested it out, but if the receiver is set for an SWM dish there is no reason it should be generating a voltage at all. Of course it still might be because it won't do anything any harm....

I have not tested it out, but if the receiver is set for an SWM dish there is no reason it should be generating a voltage at all. Of course it still might be because it won't do anything any harm....

Good point ...

The SWM setting should turn voltage off from the recvr, I would presume.

Once set to SWM it won't produce 13/18 volts, however, sometimes receivers don't require to be set to SWM to work on a SWM system. So if he was using an older legacy sly stem prior to the SWM upgrade his receivers may still be set to slimline

The lnb has to be getting the voltage from somewhere, and if it isn't the power inserter since it's not on a power passing leg of the splitter, that leaves only one of the receivers/dvrs. I suppose the splitter could be defective, allowing voltage to bleed through from a non power passing port.

I would let a tech get involved in this particular issue, although not hard to do, if it's only the switched coax on the PI, but if its something about the feed from the outside, ill let the pros handle it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Good point ...

The SWM setting should turn voltage off from the recvr, I would presume.

Yes, it should, but maybe the designers did not bother to do that, it does not hurt anything having voltage on the line I guess..

Follow cable from dish, theres should be another splitter where the PI is connected, if it goes jnside your attic, the tech cut your home run from your bedroom to your junction box downstairs and put a splitter to feed the splitter down stairs. Bottom line, the installer puts the PI on the shortest line possible, which in this case, your bedroom. Not sure if i explained that clear. Forgive me if this was mentioned already, didnt read all the replies.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts