Petition for HD DVD!

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
http://www.hdnowonline.com/

Welcome To The World of High Definition DVD!
Welcome to the home page of the Petition campaign to ask certain studios, like Fox, Disney, MGM and Lions Gate, that they support the High Definition DVD (HD DVD) disc format with more releases.
We believe that High Definition DVD (HD DVD) is the best and most consumer-friendly next-generation video format. At one-half, to one-third, of the price of the "other brand", HD DVD has consistently delivered the better picture quality and ownership experience.
We ask that the Bluray-exclusive studios support the HD DVD format with movie releases. HD DVD has the cheapest cost of entry and the best real-world performance, and it is outselling the Blu-Ray format by a 3 to 1 margin.
We want to say to the Studios: “High Definition DVD has got the best picture, the best sound, the lowest prices, the happiest Customers and the most sales. We're waiting to buy your movies on the HD DVD format.”

Hey BlackHitachi -- where do you get you dollars numbers from? The playing field is just now begining to balance out. The PS3 has shown itself to be an excellant BluRAy player with HDMI 1.3 for only $499. Toshiba's $499 unit is not beating that. And you can not seriously consider the M$ HD-DVD player as I have seen no review that says it does better or as well as the Toshiba's HD-DVD players. And the M$ player has no way to pass the new HD audio codecs to any speaker or receiver.

The movies coming out now on BluRay are incoded using the same techniques as HD-DVD and the reviews state that there is virtually no differance. And price wise the movies are about the same. Heck you can even find cheaper BluRay movies then HD-DVD if you shop around on the net. As more PS3s are sold I believe you will see the price of BluRAy movies come down.

And after the release of the PS3 you can no longer say that HD-DVD is outselling the BluRAy format either in movies or players. In one day Sony SOLD over 400,000 PS3s. In fact, I bet that those purchasing a PS3 for use are buying more BluRay movies then games right now!! You can ask those other studios to change stripes but I think right now BluRay is gearing up and the numbers game will eventually win -- it always does - Welcome to BluRay!

Hey BlackHitachi -- where do you get you dollars numbers from? The playing field is just now begining to balance out. The PS3 has shown itself to be an excellant BluRAy player with HDMI 1.3 for only $499. Toshiba's $499 unit is not beating that. And you can not seriously consider the M$ HD-DVD player as I have seen no review that says it does better or as well as the Toshiba's HD-DVD players. And the M$ player has no way to pass the new HD audio codecs to any speaker or receiver.

The movies coming out now on BluRay are incoded using the same techniques as HD-DVD and the reviews state that there is virtually no differance. And price wise the movies are about the same. Heck you can even find cheaper BluRay movies then HD-DVD if you shop around on the net. As more PS3s are sold I believe you will see the price of BluRAy movies come down.

And after the release of the PS3 you can no longer say that HD-DVD is outselling the BluRAy format either in movies or players. In one day Sony SOLD over 400,000 PS3s. In fact, I bet that those purchasing a PS3 for use are buying more BluRay movies then games right now!! You can ask those other studios to change stripes but I think right now BluRay is gearing up and the numbers game will eventually win -- it always does - Welcome to BluRay!

Where do i get my number from. I am just reading all over the internet. I believe i posted the link already but i will again! http://www.hdnowonline.com/ I am not a fan boy of any format read my sig please so don't tell me blu ray is better. I am just posting this to help other people. Once again there is no format war for me! As far as Reviews of the HD DVD add on come on man read its all over the net! The sound is not as good. The picture quality is right on! Now if you want me to be honest HD DVD looks better to me. (Right now)

On the right now about HD-DVD I can agree. But I have read several reviews of Panasonic's BluRAy player and of the PS3 as a BluRay player and most have said that the Samsung is definately flawed. Some have even gone back to some of their previous reviews of BluRay movies and found that the flaws they saw were indeed coming from the Samsung player (except for the very first Sony release that were very poorly done).

I have seen some very sharp HD-DVD movies, more then BluRay but I believe that now that the 50GB discs are out you are going to see BluRay catch up with HD-DVD in quality (already has on some titles) and the BluRay studios are really going to crank up the output over the next 6 months. Things are just now getting interesting.

In fact, I bet that those purchasing a PS3 for use are buying more BluRay movies then games right now!! You can ask those other studios to change stripes but I think right now BluRay is gearing up and the numbers game will eventually win -- it always does - Welcome to BluRay!

i think you are way off on this. i would be willing to bet that over 60 percent of the ps3s sold on launch day went on ebay. i think the ones who kept them are the hardcore gamers who want it for games and not so much for blue ray. i don't think people camped out three days to get a blue ray player.

i don't think the people wanting blue ray are spending over a thousand dollars on ebay for a blueray player. i think the ones are that are selling are for video game use and not blueray.

Yeah, without a scaler, in 480i or 1080p, nothing else...

ROFL, see bove.

You Bozo, that is for video game playback only and only on old RPTVs that do not accept a 720p signal. Movie playback can be done on a BluRay title in 480p, 720p, 1080i, & 1080p outputs right now on the PS3. You can not uprez regular DVDs (something Sony happens to have coming in a future download -- You XBOX360 guys know anything about downloads giving you more options?) And come to think of it the M$ HD-DVD player does not do any uprez of regular DVD movies either. Geez T2k do you ever read any reviews at all?:rolleyes:

i think you are way off on this. i would be willing to bet that over 60 percent of the ps3s sold on launch day went on ebay. i think the ones who kept them are the hardcore gamers who want it for games and not so much for blue ray. i don't think people camped out three days to get a blue ray player.

i don't think the people wanting blue ray are spending over a thousand dollars on ebay for a blueray player. i think the ones are that are selling are for video game use and not blueray.

Gee, using lastest figures of 275,000 that would mean there are 165,000 PS3s for sale on E-BAY, Anyone have Korsjs back on this one?:D

You Bozo, that is for video game playback only and only on old RPTVs that do not accept a 720p signal.
This is why no PS3 for me. Even the RCA 52" Black Friday TV at Walmart for $487! doesn't do 720p. Alot of 1080i TVs exist that don't do 720p. A co-worker of mine had a Mitsubishi model from 2-3 years ago that cost him over $3000 that doesn't do 720p. But it's ok, the Xbox 360 upscales just fine to 1080i for him. :D

-John

Gee, using lastest figures of 275,000 that would mean there are 165,000 PS3s for sale on E-BAY, Anyone have Korsjs back on this one?:D

you might want to check your figures. this article says sony might not make 200,000 by the end of the year.

when i checked ebay yesterday for a one day period. there was around 2500 ps3s ending a one day period. my numbers might not be to far off.

This article helps explain Sony's problems with blue laser diode yields: http://www.videsignline.com/news/194500035

As this article explains, with current processes, there is no way to increase current yields on blue laser diodes. As the article points out, the yields are pathetic at this point. They do not have suitable substrates at this time. Worse, the current substrate will probably never be able to produce any kind of decent yield. They are currently doing research on trying to develop a new substrate. As the article points out, earlier CD DVD technology had production issues too. But they had suitable substrates from the beginning.

So what we have here is Sony launching the PS3 with poor blue laser diode production yields with basically no backup plan. The current substrates and processes are failing miserably going forward with no other processes that can fix this. They are up against a wall and are desperately trying to develop new manufacturing processes.. The problem is, the PS3 is already launched. I highly doubt that Sony will be able to meet its 750,000 units by year end. But by next year they may be able to increase supply... only because more manufactures will be in the pipeline in scraping blue laser diodes.. along with a few good ones.

The simple fact is all shipping figures from Sony have been short to this point. Since they have been unable to resolve the substrate problem in Diode production, I don't see any of Sony's promises coming through going forward. I think this is Toshiba's golden opportunity to flood the market with multiple HD DVD players at substantially lower prices to win the format war. Manufacturing costs and production yields could cost Sony the format war. If Sony wants to win, they have no choice then to develop a suitable substrate. Because at some point, people are not going to want to spend double for a Hi Def player at Walmart.

Sony will need to increase supply AND lower price to survive in the long haul.

Signed!! From what I have read on the costs and problems making Blue Ray work.. I am supporting HD DVD technology. One only has to look back at how much Sony charged for proprietary memory sticks... far more $$ then traditional solid state memory. With Sony's track record, I really don't think I want them to control the whole Hi Def market. I don't mind that they share it with HD DVD. But I definitely do not want to see HD DVD lose and go away with only Sony standing. IMHO that outcome would cost the consumer much more in $$ to enjoy HI Def technology. I look at a Sony Win as Hi Def going into a Apple computer model. And Apples still cost nearly twice as much as a PC. I don't want that happening to Hi Definition.

So I agree, its in everyone's best interest to sign this petition..... even if you support BD. Thats because the lower cost and more available titles for HD DVD will force BD to lower prices as well. BD by itself with no HD DVD around will cost everyone more money. Now more then ever we need HD DVD support and more titles while Sony is struggling getting BD off the ground while they are in the business of scrapping diodes.

HD-DVD also uses blue laser diodes. Why can't Sony just use the same diodes? I believe they both use the same frequency. Clearly the production technology exists.

So I agree, its in everyone's best interest to sign this petition..... even if you support BD. Thats because the lower cost and more available titles for HD DVD will force BD to lower prices as well. BD by itself with no HD DVD around will cost everyone more money. Now more then ever we need HD DVD support and more titles while Sony is struggling getting BD off the ground while they are in the business of scrapping diodes.

Thank you so much for being open minded and not jumping down my throat! This is the whole reason i posted this in a nut shell. Whether you like one or the other is not the point. Better quality and cheaper prices wont hurt any body! I get so tired of hearing yet but sony this blu ray that.

HD-DVD also uses blue laser diodes. Why can't Sony just use the same diodes? I believe they both use the same frequency. Clearly the production technology exists.

Your right... as it states here http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/30/blu-ray-and-hd-dvd-delays-due-to-blue-laser-shortage/

However, the layer on the HD DVD is 0.6mm thick with larger pits.. less data then the BD with a layer of only 0.1mm thick. One would think that the tolerances for the laser would be less for HD DVD diode? The precision to read 0.1mm layer with smaller pits should be allot tighter? I don't know. But thanks for correcting me. I did not know that HD DVD used the same diode. I keep hearing about the similarities of DVD and HD DVD but in the end.. it uses the same 405 nm blue-violet laser diodes. So it looks like neither format will emerge a winner until a new substrate can be developed for the diode manufacturing process.

But If this is true.. why do BD players cost so much more then HD DVD? Surely the ability to read a 0.1mm layer must account for why BD players cost so much?

Not correcting, just asking.

Part of the price difference is that the HD-DVD crowd seem willing to accept larger losses on the sale of the early units.

It does.. Its just that the current substrates that are used produce a poor yield. From the link I posted from my first reply its less then 50 percent yield... which is really bad. They are trying to develop a new substrate. But current production technology cannot produce the diode with high yields.. That technology does not exist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts