Phantom horizontal and diagonal lines

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ace68

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Snow Belt, OH
A couple of weeks ago I had to upgrade my 3 lnb oval dish to the 5 lnb monster dish to recieve my HD locals. I had Directv do this. Since then I have these "phantom" lines scrolling on my screen(all channels), and poor HD quality. My SAT A signal is around 68. I do not have this problem with my other component inputs (dvd etc.) I have tried switching them, but still have the same problem. (not my TV) I have the Directv H20 reciever. Any help will be appreciated.....thanks

The phantom lines, as you call them, sound like a grounding/electrical noise issue, the dish and/or an outlet may not be grounded properly.

A reading fo 68 on a H20 is within normal parameters (they read ~20 points lower).

As for the poor HD quality, are these local, national or both channels you're talking about?

The lower signal readings were fixed with the most recient software update.

If this is happening within 90 days of the dih being installed, call directv for a free service call to correct the issue (i agree it sounds like grounding). Is this a pole mount, or the standard "j" mount somewhere on ur roof or house?

GROUND:
My dish is grounded through the RG6 (has the attached ground wire) to a cold water pipe.

Electrical Noise:
I have my RG6 going through an "all in one" power,phone,coax surge supressor.

Would it be a wise idea to remove the coax from the surge?

My poor quality HD is mostly on Locals, but my lines are on all channels and menu screens.

I have a Directv Tech on the way today.

FYI: I don't have this problem on another TV without HD service.

Those all-in-one surge / power strips are not a great idea; especially the ones sold at hardware and discount store. Give a quick test removing that. If it is seen on the menu screens and only on that TV; it is likely to me, that the source of the problem is right there close. Interference, of some sort.

And you said you tried switching the video output cables from the HD receiver correct?

GROUND:
My dish is grounded through the RG6 (has the attached ground wire) to a cold water pipe.

Electrical Noise:
I have my RG6 going through an "all in one" power,phone,coax surge supressor.

Would it be a wise idea to remove the coax from the surge?

My poor quality HD is mostly on Locals, but my lines are on all channels and menu screens.

I have a Directv Tech on the way today.

FYI: I don't have this problem on another TV without HD service.

You say the dish is grounded, but is there a grounding block for the coax as well? And are the all bounded together? Also some cold water pipe has PVC in some sections, rendering the cold water pipe unusable as a ground.

I myself would probably not use the coax part of the surge suppressor, the line carries a voltage to the LNBs, and most of these kinds of coax suppressors are intended for RF frequencies, not the high frequencies and 13/18V voltages used in satellite setups.

As for the poor quality on the locals, can you describe the issue? Is there pixelization? drop outs? sync issues? be descriptive.

Try changing the receiver out to your other location and vice versa, see if the noise/grounding problem follows.

Anyways, hope the tech figures it out, please let us know what it was, good luck.

My dish is grounded to a Coax ground block which then goes to my cold water pipe which is tied into my main ground at my breaker panel / main service entrance. (remember that I did not have this problem before the install of the new 5 lnb dish, I already had the H20 with no problems) As for the specific Local HD problems, I have all of the problems that you mentioned plus when I watch a live event it looks like a rebroadcast (not live) kinda' annoying. I can't move my reciever to my other TV because it is not an HDTV. Someone told me it may be a B-Band converter problem......Still waiting for the Tech.....Thanks for the help so far!

My dish is grounded to a Coax ground block which then goes to my cold water pipe which is tied into my main ground at my breaker panel / main service entrance. (remember that I did not have this problem before the install of the new 5 lnb dish, I already had the H20 with no problems) As for the specific Local HD problems, I have all of the problems that you mentioned plus when I watch a live event it looks like a rebroadcast (not live) kinda' annoying. I can't move my reciever to my other TV because it is not an HDTV. Someone told me it may be a B-Band converter problem......Still waiting for the Tech.....Thanks for the help so far!

Try removing the B Band converter and see if it helps, if so, have it replaced the tech should have them handy.

Jimbo

At last!!!!!

The tech finally showed up 3hrs late, but we found out the problem was the component outputs on my H20. Of course he didn't have a replacement on his truck (I guess I was silly to think that he would have any parts with him!) But I had the protection plan from the place I got it from and rushed to get there by closing and got a new one....works great as far as no "lines" but the local HD channels still have the usual issues (pixelation, drop-out, sync). Watching the Browns game today it still did look like it was prerecorded and not very "live". Any ideas on this? Any ways thanks for your great help.

Ace

At last!!!!!

The tech finally showed up 3hrs late, but we found out the problem was the component outputs on my H20. Of course he didn't have a replacement on his truck (I guess I was silly to think that he would have any parts with him!) But I had the protection plan from the place I got it from and rushed to get there by closing and got a new one....works great as far as no "lines" but the local HD channels still have the usual issues (pixelation, drop-out, sync). Watching the Browns game today it still did look like it was prerecorded and not very "live". Any ideas on this? Any ways thanks for your great help.

Ace
Pixalation could be a lot of things, 1st it could be the network, others would comment if thats the case, could be your dish not aligned quite good enough.
Also, you didn't mention if you are getting your locals from D* or OTA antenna, or where you are located.

jimbo

My levels are all in the mid-70s and I get my locals from Directv for the Cleveland area.

PS: Go Bucks!

ACE68,
Did you say the trouble was defective Component outputs on the receiver ?

If so, and they replaced it already, I am glad your troubles were corrected.
Enjoy !!!

Jimbo

Yes the component outputs were defective and I personally had to get a new one DirecTv would not replace it. Thank goodness I purchased the protection plan from the store I got it from. I learned my lesson after my 1st one went bad. I am now on my 3rd. I still have the issues with my DirecTv Local HD (pixelation, drop-out etc.) Some of my local HD (Browns games mostly) don't look "live". But if I am watching ESPN HD (Monday Night Football) for example it looks awesome.....Any ideas on that? I know it's petty but it annoys me!!!! If I switch to the SD of the same channel it looks live but of course the quality is not great.

Ace

I had the exact same problem with my H20-600. When I called DirecTV, I got a new H20-100 (Because I asked for one) and haven't had ANY problems since. I'm sorry to hear that you're on your third receiver. If it happens again, try getting your hands on a 100 model.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)