Philadelphia (Montgomery Co.) - Any VOOMERS?

beachterp

Original poster
May 24, 2004
Philly Suburbs
Haven't installed VOOM yet, but I did put in an order in time to take advantage of the VOOM offer.

But, in the meantime, I am trying to decide whether or not to go through with it. Here are the plusses and minuses of both as I see it.

Voom
(+) DVI input :)
(+) More HDTV channels (but worth watching?) :)
(+) NFL channel :)
(+) More HBO, CMAX, SHO, STRZ for price :(
(-) No INHD :(
(-) No Comcast Spotrsnet HD :(
(-) No HGTV (gotta keep wifey happy) :(

Comcast
(+) Comcast Sportsnet HD :)
(+) INHD :)
(-) No DVI input :(
(-) No TNT HD :(

Anyone in the Montgomery Co. area that can provide their thoughts on VOOM vs. Comcast..??

It's a tough call. I live just north of you, in Northampton County. I have Service Electric Cable TV which carries the Comcast sports programming. I switched from DISH to Voom two months ago to get the additional HD programming and I'm happy with the extra HD content with two exceptions. They don't have enough original programming and I hate the way they crop all HD movies to fill a 16x9 screen. Still, I need to keep my cable for Comcast Sports and because I can't get OTA HD locals. So you need to decide is it worth $80/month to get the extra HD programming Voom offers that's not on Comcast. I don't think you'll be happy dropping Comcast.

-Dennis-

I'm in Bucks county with the same situation as you (HGTV for the wife). I have both Comcast and Voom. I used to have Basic & Expanded basic with Comcast, but i also have Internet through them. Had to keep the cable modem. Without cable TV service the cable modem is $58 month, with, it is only $43, $15 difference. Basic programming is only $12/month. So, by keeping basic programming, I save on my cable modem. Generally, when you drop expanded basic, they come out and put a filter on your line to restrict you from getting the upper channels. However, I believe that with the cable modem, they cannot install the filter, so you may still be able to receive HGTV. This may or may not be the same for you, but something to think about.

Bucks County

Just had Voom installed 2 weeks ago. Did the same as Chayse and kept Comcast cable modem. Dropped the package to basic but I still have what seems to be most of the channels. Was only able to pull in CBS through the ota antenna but removed 2 diplexers and ran the ota line seperate and now I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and a few others. I'm pleased...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)