philly locals

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
Anybody having problems witht he Philly locals lately? They've been overly compressed lately. They uusually look good on my set but lately way to much compression. Secondly channel 23, and now channel 57 are snowy. Channel 23 has been this way for awhile and i've been told that they are running at reduced power. This morning iv'e noticed the same problem on channel 57.

Anybody have this problem and no of the reason?

Ron

Anybody having problems witht he Philly locals lately? They've been overly compressed lately. They uusually look good on my set but lately way to much compression. Secondly channel 23, and now channel 57 are snowy. Channel 23 has been this way for awhile and i've been told that they are running at reduced power. This morning iv'e noticed the same problem on channel 57.

Anybody have this problem and no of the reason?

Ron

OTA or through Dish?

I noticed this as well. My OTA of 57 is clear but the Dish reception of 57 is horrible. There is no 'snow' in digital so what it means is Dish's reception of 57 is bad so when it comes to us it looks as such. They are sending us the snowy picture. I'll wait a couple of days and if it does not clear up I'll give them a call.

Jay

I noticed this as well. My OTA of 57 is clear but the Dish reception of 57 is horrible. There is no 'snow' in digital so what it means is Dish's reception of 57 is bad so when it comes to us it looks as such. They are sending us the snowy picture. I'll wait a couple of days and if it does not clear up I'll give them a call.

Jay

Well i'm glad to hear that the problem isn't just iwht me. Do you also notice the same snowy picture on channel 23? Plus the excessive compression that we've been haivng lately on the locals?

Ron

Ron-
That's one of the things I don't miss since I dropped DISH last week and went to FIOS TV.

The quality of the Philly local channels was/is pathetic on DISH. 17 and 57 were downright unwatchable sometimes.

And don't remind me of the ABC-HD issues I always saw. It's nice to now watch clear locals and non-pixelating HD stations.

Ron-
That's one of the things I don't miss since I dropped DISH last week and went to FIOS TV.

The quality of the Philly local channels was/is pathetic on DISH. 17 and 57 were downright unwatchable sometimes.

And don't remind me of the ABC-HD issues I always saw. It's nice to now watch clear locals and non-pixelating HD stations.

Boy you're lucky. What town do you live in that get FIOS-TV? We don't even have FIOS internet let alone tv.

I"m usually happy with Dish's quality. In the past up until recently even the locals looked good to me. I use s-video cable for my 27" tv. Jus tlately it's looke dcrappy. I dont' know if i'd go with verizon tv or not. Depends on their drv. Not sure but beleive it isnt' as good at this time as Dish's dvr. I currently use the 522.

Ron

I have been trying out cable and I can honestly say the HD local channels are usually better than Dish's, plus they carry more of them in HD. I have been able to watch them without the pixelating which is a big improvement. I am going to be downgrading my Dish service and the locals will be one of the items I drop.

North Wilmington. I agree with Gadget Girl too - more options. Was able to see "24" again last night with no issues.

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. FIOS nowhere near ready...although its wired up to the street over from me.....Comcast is just downright expensive for what they are and I am worrying how good my dish will be if I upgrade to HD.

Avit-
Don't get me wrong - DISH HD isn't bad - but their Philly HD locals are.

ABC is unwatchable - but i'd say FOX was the best of all of them. They really don't give much bandwidth to the channels as they sock all 4 of them on one TP off of 61.5.

You're better off getting an HD pack from DISH and then putting up an OTA for the locals.

Found out today that Channel 57's transmit antenna literally blew up. Reason unknown at this time. It's not on top of their tower anymore. They are running a temporary antenna at a much reduced power. I did not get any ETA on when things would get back to normal.

WPSG 57 is quite low OTA here. It comes in good on Comcast Cable Not bad on DIRECTV either. Interesting, the Digital OTA signal is not reduced at all here.

That's because DT is on channel 32 for WPSG and it is a different antenna.
Cable companies and DIsh and Direct would get a good signal because they have short towers with recieve antenna that is high up so they pick up good analog. Since 85% of the Philly POP has cable or satellite they have good feed. Although 57 is one of the ones that have Fiber direct to the cable and satellite services so it don't matter so much.

Yeah....the SD Philly locals have been marginal at best for the 3-1/2 years I have been with Dish. I was thinking about an antenna (gotta get the old one that fell over off of my roof first - althgouth I could probably re use it.)

If you get a new package from Dish, do you have to keep the locals for the commitment period or can it be dropped?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts