Phone Connection Failure on a Dish 222K

FreddySatGuy44

Original poster
Jun 22, 2016
Milton, MA
I'm just a home dish subscriber - Turbo HD. have a Dish 222K receiver. Recently, I wanted to do some diagnostics, so I went to the Diagnostics screen and pressed Connect. Despite their being a phone line connected, it says "Phone Connection Failure". So now I need to troubleshoot this. I realize it could be anything - could be a short, an open-circuit somewhere, some sort of firmware issue, a bad cable. I'm just posting this in case, there is an obvious dish-related issue that I might see this error. Otherwise I will just start checking A to Z what it might be one step at a time.

That's all I have right now. I must of course test the long phone line on another system and make sure it's ok - duh.

Unless you use the Caller ID, there is no reason for the phone line if you are connected via internet.

Unless you use the Caller ID, there is no reason for the phone line if you are connected via internet.

As of yet, I am not connected on the Internet. I've neither hooked up a USB 2.0 nor an RJ-45. That's why I would think the system would be at least as receptive or even more for a phone line. I might be
able to hunt around for an RJ-45, but I'm not dying to that or the USB - the USB will be hard as there's no computer near the box. Even the RJ-45 might be difficult. The phone line has a perfectly good dial
tone - I might have to try a different phone cable 1st, or even better, test the phone cable and make sure it's not damaged. It's not impossible that it could be. If I find it's a good phone cable, then
I might actually try to find a different box, although if I really must, I could open the thing, and start probing with a voltmeter - would be nice to have a schematic. I do NOT have Caller ID.
I guess tonight or tomorrow, I'll get back to this - I've got something else, it's not a dire emergency so I can ponder it a few days more before I really dig in.
Thanks.

If you don't have Caller ID, I wonder if it worth all the trouble you are going through to find out why your Diagnostic screen won't connect. The phone line is doing nothing anyway...

Reactions: KAB
If you don't have Caller ID, I wonder if it worth all the trouble you are going through to find out why your Diagnostic screen won't connect. The phone line is doing nothing anyway...

So if I hook up the phone line, it will only work if I have Caller ID? I didn't know that. My installation guide doesn't say that. Is that really true? It sounds like I should try to hook up to the Internet instead.

A phone line connection on a VIP receiver is used for 2 things. You can display caller ID if you have it enabled from the phone company and you can order Pay Per View with your remote rather than calling in or through an internet connection. That's it. If you don't plan to do either of these things then you don't need a phone line connection.

Reactions: stardust3
So if I hook up the phone line, it will only work if I have Caller ID? I didn't know that. My installation guide doesn't say that. Is that really true? It sounds like I should try to hook up to the Internet instead.
Unless you want to order PPV online, there's no need to have internet, either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)