Phone line connection question

G Luis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Down the road a piece
Finally getting around to dumping my landline ... don't ask me why I've kept it to this point. Maybe just old school. Anyway, I'm going to be using an internet based service and was wondering if it will cause any issues with my VIP722? I would figure a phone connection is a phone connection, but just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

I used an internet based phone service for a couple of years--when I had my 722 and did not have any issues on Dish with it. Used it for the caller id.
This was my experience--others may have different outcomes.
I use Charter fiber link now.

They dropped the requirment of having a phone line several years ago. I've been using Vonage for at least 10 years and no connection to any of my dvr's.

I've never had a phone line connected to my 722. I use the ethernet connection instead, which gives me a lot more functionality anyway (downloadable movies, etc).

I'll always have a land line. The audio between my I Phone and land line is night and day. Believe it or not, I sometimes need my fax. Vonage is about 12.50$ a month, tax included. I pay a lot of money for 3 cell phones and am tired of dropped calls, etc. And contracts.

Reactions: sremick
I agree, nothing will replace a solid land line. But, let the masses do what the masses do...until they say, "Well maybe that was not such a smart idea after all".

Reactions: sremick
It's a phone line connection OR and internet connection. I got rid of my land-line earlier this year, but left the receiver hooked to the 'net, and it still "phones home" as needed.

You could disco both phone and Internet, and suffer no downside, unless you have many many receivers and can't pass an audit, or you order a lot of PPV or vod, both of which the average user would not be affected by.

It's a phone line connection OR and internet connection. I got rid of my land-line earlier this year, but left the receiver hooked to the 'net, and it still "phones home" as needed.
???

I have both my HWS connected to both. Land line for Caller ID, Internet for features and possible program downloads. Works just fine. Caller ID worth it's weight in gold. And Internet diagnostics is a nice touch.

I got an email from this thread where a person asked "What about caller ID?" I turned it off after it popped up while I was recording. I have Caller ID on my phones. That's all I need.

Although I don't have a phone line connected to my DVR, that doesn't mean I don't have a landline... I most certainly do, and always will. Cellular is not reliable. There's no cell service where I live (we use a microcell), and even where there IS cell service, it's not 100% reliable and so can't be depended on in emergencies. The towers get overloaded (remember 9/11? No one could make cell calls), power outages can cause problems... especially in our situation, where cellphones will only work for as long as we have battery/backup power. Verizon just had a 911 outage the other day that made the news, and AT&T has had their own set of outages. Meanwhile my landline always works, and we have a backup corded phone connected to it just in case. Considering we already pay for DSL, the few extra bucks for a reliable phone line is a worthwhile and prudent investment.

Reactions: thomasjk and KAB
I got an email from this thread where a person asked "What about caller ID?" I turned it off after it popped up while I was recording. I have Caller ID on my phones. That's all I need.

I get caller IDs when recording and it never shows up in the recording itself, just on my TV screen.....

I believe dwarren was referring to offload recording, like to a Hauppauge.

He didn't say that at all. If he was doing an offload recording what comes in on Caller ID wouldn't go there anyway....

I've recorded to an external DVD recorder in the past and the caller ID would get captured when recording. Same principal.

That was when I had a 722. Since all my phones are base units with wireless remotes, I disabled the caller id. I also use nomorobo.com to intercept spam/robo calls.

Connectivity is just a customer perk for the most part. Dish doesn't care about phone lines anymore as they even stopped putting the bundle of line in the boxes of some receivers such as the Hopper. They are all about broadband and will do everything they can to get it connected to some broadband source. The connectivity percentages that techs are to maintain for just the Hoppers are insane...when I left it was 80% and even 20% is hard to hit since they push Hoppers on even the little old lady in the sticks who doesn't even know what internet is let alone have broadband.
Caller ID is a good feature to have but its going away too. I would love to have Caller ID on my cell phone without having to input the contact name and wait for them to recall. Caller ID should be a default feature on all cell phones by all carriers IMO but that will never happen...best thing you can do is get an app that will show you rough location of the caller.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)