Phone line fee?

BatteryDude1975

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Hello, Im thinking about droping my home phone and just using cell phone. What im wondering tho is what will dish do about me not having a active phone line hooked to the reciever? I will still have internet.

I know you can hook your reciever to the internet, but will that keep them from charging me the phone line fee? If so, how do you go about hooking your reciever to the internet? I currently use a wireless router for laptop and PS3. Is it as simple as hooking the reciever directly into my router?

Also, are there any pros and cons to having your reciever hooked to the internet?

Sorry im such a noob, but was just wondering about this. Any help would be nice.

Thanks!

By the way. VIP722 is what is hooked to phone line now and I also have a 622 (I believe) which isnt hooked to phone line.

Last edited:
Connecting a ViP receiver to the Internet will also waive the phone line fee. There are many ways to do this, simplest is an ethernet cable direct to your broadband router or other switch infrastructure.

pro=waive the fee, can download "on demand" stuff, can use remote scheduling (also works without, don't know if there's a difference)
con=can download crappy "on demand" stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)