Phone line Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tjdjr

Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I have four standard receivers (no HD or DVR). I just 'moved' to get locals. I was told not to hook up the phone lines once I 'moved'. I am interested in ordering the ESPN Gameplan (college football) and Sunday Ticket. Will I be able to subscribe to these with no phone line hooked up? Has anyone 'moved' and kept their original phone number hooked up to the receivers?

Thanks
Tony

So then to get subscriptions (sunday ticket...) I shouldn't need the phone line or are these considered PPV.

phone

D* says you need the phone line, but you really don't. I would just call them and order it. Don't mention the phone line. I saw where someone just gave them a cell # . Wasn't connected to the receiver. Let us know how it comes out.

steve

With the sports packages the phone line is there for help in updating the guide data, since itis constantly changing.

I do all mine ording online and even ST....never had a problem with no phone line being connected.

as a side not, you should order your PPV online so every receiver gets it instead of the one that you order from.

I don't know who told you NOT to hook up the phone lines after you moved, but it doesn't matter if you do - have many customers (& myself) who moved & still have phones hooked up with no problems. But, it is also correct that it don't matter about the phone line f/season ticket packages.

I think he didn't physically move to a new location, but pretends that he moved into a new address so he can receive the local channels of the new address. In that case, he probably doesn't want to hook up the phone number as the caller ID will tell D* that he is at a different area code... By the way, the guide info comes from sat 101. Just order the sunday ticket online and you will be fine.

If all else fails, and you have broadband, get Vonage and get a number for the area you are moving to.

The phone line connection descibes your callback number to the DTV billing system, if your rec calls back from a number that has blacked out games then those games will be blacked out. It does not govern your locals or your programming, the phone line is for ppv and sports packages and mainly your regional sports packages. If you lived in an area where you had games you wanted to watch not blacked out and then you moved to an area where those games would be blacked out based on the phone number, then you can avoid blackouts by not plugging in your phone connection.

The locals are governed by the zip code of his service address. You can change the zip code on your account's service address but if you need a service call then it would go to the wrong address. Also, locals are governed by the type of dish you have the multisat settings inside your menus.

acefr said:
I think he didn't physically move to a new location, but pretends that he moved into a new address so he can receive the local channels of the new address. In that case, he probably doesn't want to hook up the phone number as the caller ID will tell D* that he is at a different area code...

Uh yea, I kinda figured that out - that's what I meant when I said me & others had "moved"; as in VIRTUALLY & not PHYSICALLY. ;) ;)

And as I said above - the area code you're calling back from makes NO difference whatsoever, as D* does NOT do any kind of cross reference as to if your area code is supposed to be in an area or not. I have no idea why peoople keep saying it does, but I would bet that NOBODY can prove that D* does otherwise.

DirecTV*Tier2Tech said:
The phone line connection descibes your callback number to the DTV billing system, if your rec calls back from a number that has blacked out games then those games will be blacked out. It does not govern your locals or your programming, the phone line is for ppv and sports packages and mainly your regional sports packages. If you lived in an area where you had games you wanted to watch not blacked out and then you moved to an area where those games would be blacked out based on the phone number, then you can avoid blackouts by not plugging in your phone connection.
Wow, I never thought of this ... what market shoudl I move to so I get ALL the games???

That's a good question... maybe Alaska or Hawaii - can't think of any local NFL teams there... :D

Might do that this season... my local Fox channel on the dish is horrible... both video and audio quality are terrible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)