Phone without carrier as pda?

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
I know there are phones that do wifi, mp3s, bluetooth. Can you use any of the phones as a pda, mp3 player and browser (via 802.11g) if you do not have a phone service contract with a phone company. Basically I've seen some decent deals on phones with these features but want them only for those features. Not as a phone.

I know there are phones that do wifi, mp3s, bluetooth. Can you use any of the phones as a pda, mp3 player and browser (via 802.11g) if you do not have a phone service contract with a phone company. Basically I've seen some decent deals on phones with these features but want them only for those features. Not as a phone.
iPod Touch

Make sure that when you're comparing prices on smart phones that you're doing so based on "unlocked" phones. Locked phones typically require a voice service commitment to get the advertised pricing.

ipod touch is ok for that , but I prefer a keyboard for a pda. Or at least one with a stylus.

You can use a smartphone with wifi as a pda easily. Cheapest to get something used off ebay. Too bad the old Treo 700s did not have wi-fi, that would be perfect.

My old Samsung Omnia would work, but again, just a virtual keyboard. But it does have a keyboard.

I've been looking at the ipod touch but don't really want to spend over $100. The going rate seems to be around $150 used but in good condition. I recently had an ipaq rx3115 which was ok but didn't connect to my bluetooth headphones.

I saw a HTC touch ppc6800 advertised for $75 and wondered if something like this could work for me without having to pay a monthly fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)