Picture quality with S-Video vs RF output

jimgoe

jimgoe

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
Ocoee Florida
I would like to connect a receiver to my Windows Media Center computer. Does anyone have any real world experience comparing the picture quality of an S-Video connection with RF? It appears that the 211k is the only one of the most current receivers to offer S-Video.

F

Fitzie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 30, 2007
Central KY
As you probably know, S-video is better than composite, but that's about all I can say. It's far better than nothing.

harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
It appears that the 211k is the only one of the most current receivers to offer S-Video.
Except for the 111 and the ViP722K, ALL recent DISH Network receivers and DVRs have an S-VHS output.

The key may actually be in what gives you the best audio quality.

C

CowboyDren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 18, 2005
I have my 722 hooked up to a $100 RCA DVD recorder. Using the RF output makes a herringbone pattern on the screen, but using a UHF attenuator induces snow. S-Video output is fine (for 480i).

ab187

ab187

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 9, 2008
Kingwood, TX
On a SDTV you can barely tell the difference between the two but on a HDTV S-Video makes a HUGE difference. I have a 625 connected to my 37inch HDTV using S-Video. The picture is more focused and clean using the S-Video output compared to the coax output.

reddice

reddice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 13, 2004
Brooklyn, New York, United States
My last CRT TV that I bought in 2000 only had a coax input. It made no sense that a RCA TV did not have any RCA jacks. I glad I gave that thing to my mother when I got my HDTV last year. I have my dish receiver connected using HDMI and Component. The only thing I have connected to the coax is my antenna for OTA.

D

dishrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Springfield, IL
Does anyone have any real world experience comparing the picture quality of an S-Video connection with RF?

RF is the LAST connection of choice you should be using - if nothing else, WHY in the world would you not use a composite (yellow) connector over RF??? :confused: :confused:

It appears that the 211k is the only one of the most current receivers to offer S-Video.

Uh, as others have eloquently pointed out to you, almost EVERY E* receiver, both made NOW & before, have S-video outs. All current SD receivers do & other than the 722k, all HD do, too.

Rey

Rey

@ your service
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
RF is the LAST connection of choice you should be using - if nothing else, WHY in the world would you not use a composite (yellow) connector over RF???
the svideo connection would still be better than the composite connection.