Picture quality with S-Video vs RF output

jimgoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
Ocoee Florida
I would like to connect a receiver to my Windows Media Center computer. Does anyone have any real world experience comparing the picture quality of an S-Video connection with RF? It appears that the 211k is the only one of the most current receivers to offer S-Video.

It appears that the 211k is the only one of the most current receivers to offer S-Video.
Except for the 111 and the ViP722K, ALL recent DISH Network receivers and DVRs have an S-VHS output.

The key may actually be in what gives you the best audio quality.

I have my 722 hooked up to a $100 RCA DVD recorder. Using the RF output makes a herringbone pattern on the screen, but using a UHF attenuator induces snow. S-Video output is fine (for 480i).

On a SDTV you can barely tell the difference between the two but on a HDTV S-Video makes a HUGE difference. I have a 625 connected to my 37inch HDTV using S-Video. The picture is more focused and clean using the S-Video output compared to the coax output.

My last CRT TV that I bought in 2000 only had a coax input. It made no sense that a RCA TV did not have any RCA jacks. I glad I gave that thing to my mother when I got my HDTV last year. I have my dish receiver connected using HDMI and Component. The only thing I have connected to the coax is my antenna for OTA.

Does anyone have any real world experience comparing the picture quality of an S-Video connection with RF?

RF is the LAST connection of choice you should be using - if nothing else, WHY in the world would you not use a composite (yellow) connector over RF??? :confused: :confused:

It appears that the 211k is the only one of the most current receivers to offer S-Video.

Uh, as others have eloquently pointed out to you, almost EVERY E* receiver, both made NOW & before, have S-video outs. All current SD receivers do & other than the 722k, all HD do, too.

RF is the LAST connection of choice you should be using - if nothing else, WHY in the world would you not use a composite (yellow) connector over RF???
the svideo connection would still be better than the composite connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)