Picture Quality

nick9

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
I am having some problems with lines in the picture on my TV. The lines are not terribly noticeable but you can tell they are there when you look for them.

I have a 625 running 2 TVs.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Try different cables and different TV connections. This may be obvious , but you should see an improvement with direct connections (RCA, Svideo, or HDMI, component for HD) verses modulated (CH 3/4) coax cable. Also for HD the HDMI should be much better than component.

Note: I just received a refurb 508 that has faint but noticeable wavy lines. I also have a Dish 301 which is very clear without the wavy lines. I tried all combinations of cables (RCA and S-Video), TV inputs (Video 1,2,3) and the Dish 301 is very clear while my 508 has wavy lines.

Now I suspect my refurb 508 is missing some shielding near the analog TV out tuner? I've read dish does clean the refurbed receivers, and tests them but I suspect they really don't visually inspect the display quality.

Since I just activated my refurbed 508 , I'm wondering first if dish will replace it and second is worth risking another refurb 508 which may have more problems then some wavy lines.

Finally I really don't want to open the refurb 508 since I expect they have tamper sticker which could void your credit for the receiver? I would like to hear suggestions.

Last edited:
First please don't use all caps.

Having built various electronic devices over the years I would rather just add a missing metal top to the shielding of the analog TV tuner then to go through the debug/wait for new receiver hassle I just experienced with DISH with the first replacement.

Not sure if anyone cares, but I had Dish send me a new 508 and my picture is very clear. The first 508 replacement had faint but noticeable wavy lines. Sorry but I'm sure that orginal 508 goes back in pool of refubs so don't feel shy returning a receiver with faint wavy lines

A really late update:
I called Dish and their guy came out and replaced the box and no more wavy lines.

Wavy lines in a digital picture?????

Don't you guys keep telling me that digital is all or nothing?:D

Keep your eyes open and you will see many more impairments that digital systems can manifest and you may even get to see a blurry or blotchy picture. I've corrected quite a number of them.

Wavy lines in a digital picture?????

Don't you guys keep telling me that digital is all or nothing?:D

Keep your eyes open and you will see many more impairments that digital systems can manifest and you may even get to see a blurry or blotchy picture. I've corrected quite a number of them.

His problem wasn't with the digital signal.

A wire is a wire and if noise (analog) is present (from his box) it will travel on that wire (to the TV) and be visible.

His problem wasn't with the digital signal.

A wire is a wire and if noise (analog) is present (from his box) it will travel on that wire (to the TV) and be visible.

The problem wasn't a wire, and was on both TVs. The problem was with the output of the 625 digital receiver. The result of the unknown problem in the digital receiver was a picture quality change manifested as an artifact of wavy lines.

Digital Evolution:

First it was:

Digital is all-or-nothing. You either get it or you don't. If you got it, it will be perfect. Just two choices.

Then there were three choices of picture:

Digital is all-or-nothing, EXCEPT if you are at the low end of the signal strength where you may see some pixilation or tiling just before the picture is lost.

Then there became more choices and types of compromised picture:

Let's add mosquito noise, and describe other "less than perfect pictures", which we can explain as compression issues and calibration issues, but nonetheless, picture quality issues.

Now there are enough discerning eyes with HDTV to be describing blurry and blotchy, though stable, pictures. Not all of these come from compression because they can all be overcome with calibration and/or signal quality.

The truth is that if you are settling for less than what your neighbor is getting, or if your Dish HD is not VERY close to OTA HD quality, then something needs to be adjusted. If your SD is horrible, it is because of one of two things:

1. Color calibration
or
2. Signal quality

In time the science will come to the forefront as people are all trying to understand why their digital system doesn't provide the "perfect picture" that we have come to expect from a digital system.

Don't believe everything you hear. The "all-or-nothing" aspect of digital television was and is, an over-generalization of digital systems. It was and is, used to sell the better quality aspect of digital television. Unfortunately, engineers speak in higher math and the rest of us mostly speak in words. The science hasn't been taught because of two reasons.

1. A large number of installers wouldn't understand it.
and
2. During the early years of satellite, strong signal strength was easy and the noise factor was low.

As a result of the ease of high signal in the past, most installers will tell you that grounding doesn't matter and won't ever make any visible changes in quality. This also is a fallacy.

Now, as systems are more complex with added components DVR, etc, and with 5 to 6 times the amount of information needed per minute with HD vs. SD, we are evolving into a new understanding of digital systems. It is time for grounding, noise, signal strength (signal quality/BER ), and slow data, to be be taught, and understood.

That is the truth about digital TV.

The problem wasn't a wire, and was on both TVs. The problem was with the output of the 625 digital receiver. The result of the unknown problem in the digital receiver was a picture quality change manifested as an artifact of wavy lines.

Wavy lines are not an artificact of a digital signal.

But I don't want to turn this into another one your your trying to convince the world of your opinions so I'll stop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)