Piggybacking Internet connection for WD Media Player from Joey?

haloguy628

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Highlands Ranch CO
I just had Hopper w Sling and three Joeys installed. The Hopper is connected to the Internet with Ethernet cable and the Joeys apparently have Internet via built in MOCA. I asked the tech if WD Media Player can be connected with Ethernet cable to a Joey to get Internet access. He said that it should work, but when I tried it I was getting "Can't obtain IP address" message on the WD player.

My question is; it is doable? If not then would the HIC module make it possible if connected to the Joey?

I did search the forum but could not find any references to this topic. Thanks.

Naw, the Joeys don't have Internet passthru, however you can use a HIC to accomplish what you want.

Naw, the Joeys don't have Internet passthru, however you can use a HIC to accomplish what you want.

So if I get the HIC and connect it between the coax outlet and the Joe and then connect Ethernet cable from the Joe to the WD player there will be Internet connection for the WD player? Do I need HIC for every Joe I have?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I am little bit confused as how the Hopper and Joes work. I thought that the Joes have Internet connection built in via MOCA. At least that's what the Dish install tech was saying.

Joeys get their internet connection in one of four ways:
  1. Through MoCA via an internet connected Hopper (cat5 or wireless to the router) with bridging enabled. This is probably Dish's preferred method at this point.
  2. Through MoCA via a HIC connected to the router. You only need one HIC per system for this.
  3. Directly connected to the router via cat5.
  4. Directly connected to the router via wireless.

You only need one of the above methods, personally I use a HIC, never had any issue and am happy. It made the most sense at install time the way my wiring worked out (and hopper bridging was not available at first).

If the Joey is currently getting internet via MoCA, then it is using methods 1 or 2 above.

If the Joey is getting internet via MoCA, then you could probably place a HIC at the Joey location, plug the WD into the HIC and it would work. Others have reported HIC-to-HIC success this way. HIC-to-bridged_hopper should work as well, but I don't remember seeing a report on it.

If you want cat5 Ethernet at each Joey location, you would need a HIC at each location. I'm not sure how well that many MoCA devices would work together. It would probably be within MoCA specs, but real-world might be problematic - would depend on quality of install and cable.

Thanks for all your replies. I am just going to get bunch of power-line adapters and route the media players I have through that system.

This new HWS with three Joeys is great. I had 922 and 612 installed before. It was a third 922 as the first two died. I am so glad that I got it replaced. No more missed recordings or freezes or loss of sound and picture out of the blue. Looks like the 922 was in reality a beta product tested by end users. Hopefully my testing days are over now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)