Pink edges?

glowrdr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
OK. I think I'm going crazy or something. Quite some time ago, I posted about the black/white "noise" on the top portion of the screen. I chose to live with it, rather than run my TV in overscan mode.

Well, just today - I am noticing pink on the right side of my TV. It's only visable on HD channels - all of them from what I can tell. And it appears to be the same type of "noise" as the black/white on the top of the screen. Did Dish change something with their stream, or did the last update screw something up?

A couple of other observations - the black/white noise at the top of the screen hasn't seemed to appear in any of the shows I have watched today. Also, the pink does not appear in commercials - just the shows.

I really hope you guys know what "noise" I am talking about. If you don't, this is going to be a very hard conversation. lol. I can take a picture of the pink if anyone is interested. If you want to check on your own, I happen to be watching Comedy Central right now and it's there.

No issues here. Sounds like a issue with your TV, how old is it?

I'm really hoping thats not the problem. I do know that I had an HDMI issue that went away, but it was with digital artifacting once I ran an in-wall cable. Not to get off track though, because it's working now (or so I'm assuming).

I flipped around to a few different channels, and it actually does appear to be hit and miss. Channel 9 (My29) is not doing it right now, but if I flip back to Comedy Central, it's got a blatent 1" wide bar that kind of "bounces" around on the right side of the screen. If I had to explain it, it's like a 2-3 bar EQ that starts at the right edge and goes in. It kind of flickers from 1/8" all the way up to a couple of inches into my screen (50" screen)

My TV is going on 2 years old - its a Panasonic VT50, so unless I got the bad egg, I'm confident in it's reliability. Like I mentioned - the pink just started today as far as I can tell. If I do use overscan, the coloring on the edge goes away. I just don't like doing that because I actually lose roughly half the bottom bar in the guide when using overscan. I prefer running a 1:1 aspect - but that was when I had the black/white on the top. Not the pink on the sides.

(I'm hoping the pink can be explained - I do know the black/white at the top is perfectly normal. Has something to do with the broadcast stream)

OK. So I had a couple things wrong - I didn't really test things, just went off memory. So as of right now, Fox29 has no defects. But on CC, even the commercials are displaying the issue. I will post both issues just in case people aren't familiar with either. The first pic is what I'm used to. The second, you can see the pink on the right edge that has me concerned. Not completely dismissing my TV, but since I can make it go away (change channel, overscan, change source) - I'm thinking it's either a Hopper issue, or a broadcast issue. Just an FYI, I have all of my components connected to a Pioneer SC-37, and a single HDMI out to the TV from there. So this tells me the HDMI is not bad since I can switch sources and I cannot duplicate the issue.

575084_4778881120908_869482082_n.jpg263417_4778880800900_2106131029_n.jpg

I noticed the same pink noise while watching Covert Affairs on USA in HD. Fort me that was the only channel/show that I witnessed the pink noise. Will keep an eye out and hopefully it is an isolated issue.

joekawasaki said:
I had the pink edges on TruTV. Also on CNBC. Not on all channels.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I noticed pink noise on trutv also. During that pawn shop show.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

FYI, it hasn't appeared yet today and I've checked a few of the channels that had it last night. Probably some kind of transmission fluke I guess. I don't think the wife would let me get another TV. lol

Curious if you went into settings and adjusted the screen size? There is an option to format the screen and it allows you to increase or decrease the image and then center it. I had some small noise on one channel at the bottom and that's what I did.

Same issues here last night on certain channel. Universal HD for one, switched inputs to U-Verse and put it on the same channel and not a issue there so its definitley Dish.

Curious if you went into settings and adjusted the screen size? There is an option to format the screen and it allows you to increase or decrease the image and then center it. I had some small noise on one channel at the bottom and that's what I did.

The hopper has this option?

Yes. Menu, settings, format TV, screen adjustment.

Sent from my Phone using SatelliteGuys

I believe the adjustment only affects onscreen Dish menus and such. I set mine to minimize the menu size, looks a lot better on my big screen.

Very handy. Screen adjustment can be useful, wonder if the folks seeing pink have used it?

This wouldn't actually work for the pink issue. The pink actually went into the picture by a couple of inches. It's not like the black/white broadcasting anomaly that only occurs off the edge of the picture. This was almost some sort of digital "bleed". Was weird, and seems to have corrected itself I guess. Lets just hope it stays that way I guess

Jason Whiddon said:
Was it before or after the new update?

I did not get the update yet so before, but I only noticed it that one night.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I noticed the same pink noise while watching Covert Affairs on USA in HD. Fort me that was the only channel/show that I witnessed the pink noise. Will keep an eye out and hopefully it is an isolated issue.

Same.... noticed it as well. Thought my projector was about to die but wasn't an issue on any other channel. I also do not have the new update.