Pioneer elite vsx-o3txh

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I just picked up a Pioneer elite vsx-03txh for $500 (will be able to unbox it hopefully tuesday). Was wondering if anyone here has one of the elite receivers and had any tips for me before I dive into the setup.

This will be replacing my onkyo 606 (which heads to the spare/smaller HT setup). Yep, I lose an HDMI but I think the overall upgrade will offset the loss of 1 HDMI port (that I don't use).

edit: dang, hit the o instead of the 0 in the title, maybe when a staff member sees it they could fix that for me.

I was looking to upgrade and I figured for the price, it was a good choice compared to others in that price range and the feature sets.

I am most interested in the MCACC compared to the Audessy calibration systems I have used.

Rey 1118 bought the 1018 non elite, but they are all very close in build. He can probably chime in. I almost bought the 1018 because its damn fine, but couldnt pass on the 25% Denon coupon.

yeah, I missed the denon coupon as I wasn't ready at the time to buy. But the deal on the 03txh came up and I couldn't pass it up. I was looking at the 1018/01txh also. The step up to the SC series were just a bit out of my price range currently.

Hopefully tonight I'll have time to hook it up and compare to m onkyo. Maybe Rey will chime in soon.

hmm, when I tried it, it wouldn't take. Oh well, I think I'll be just as happy with the 03txh

I just picked up a Pioneer elite vsx-03txh for $500 (will be able to unbox it hopefully tuesday). Was wondering if anyone here has one of the elite receivers and had any tips for me before I dive into the setup.

This will be replacing my onkyo 606 (which heads to the spare/smaller HT setup). Yep, I lose an HDMI but I think the overall upgrade will offset the loss of 1 HDMI port (that I don't use).

edit: dang, hit the o instead of the 0 in the title, maybe when a staff member sees it they could fix that for me.

I have the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K. Pioneer USA - Pioneer A/V Receivers

I am extremely happy with this receiver. When I compared it to the elite model that had the same features and power, I saw no major difference if I saw or heard any at all. The biggest difference being it's not THX certified even though there are THX features on the 1018. The one thing I don't like is the Dos looking on screen setup. That's the only negative thing I have to say on this receiver.

Before this purchase I had a Onkyo TX-SR 806 which i returned for the Pioneer.It was half as much as the Onkyo and it out perfromed it in my opinion in sound and HDMI switching.

The 1018 puts out a sweet and clean 130w per channel. You wouldn't regret this purchase. In any case, when purchasing a receiver install it carefully and try it out. If your not impressed just return it. That's what I did until I met the 1018.

here's another link : Pioneer Electronics USA
give it time to load. hope this helps. any other question feel free to ask :)

Got the 03txh up and running and just listening to some CD's right now. Not fully calibrated yet as the kids are here and rowdy so I can't run the mcacc setup.

Rey like you said, not much difference from 1018>01txh>03txh. I originally was looking for a 1018, but they seem to have become slightly scarce but since I got an 03txh for $500 all inclusive, I was pretty happy.

So far, I am noticing some nice improvement over the onkyo in the low volume dept. Don't seem to lose dialog at lower volumes or lose instruments. Not that the onkyo was bad, but the pio is a noticeable, but not breathtaking, OMG, improvement.

Yeah, the gui sucks, but so did my onkyo's. Gui is not really all the intuitive at first.

Not real sure if I'll every really take full advantage of the THX stuff, it wasn't a selling point for me.

One thing I really like is the improved EQ settings and control, this will take some time to tweak fully even after mcacc is run. LFE and X-over settings are cleaner and now. Seems maybe the extra control in the EQ is allowing for better reproduction by my speakers. Again I really need more than a couple hours with it to really see where I want things set at.

We are watching Bolt BD again right now (just watched it last night with the onkyo). One thing I immediately noticed was the beginning of the movie sounded better on the pio, what struck me is how the fireworks over the disney castle sounded (the DTS-MA one, not the DD one). That was one that immediately caught my attention. Also the beginning after she picks out the puppy, the LFE and bass were handled much better IMO with the pio.

And last but not least, of course the wife likes the built in iPod USB port/control. Instead of buying a dedicated dock, it's a built in feature.

Got the 03txh up and running and just listening to some CD's right now. Not fully calibrated yet as the kids are here and rowdy so I can't run the mcacc setup.

Rey like you said, not much difference from 1018>01txh>03txh. I originally was looking for a 1018, but they seem to have become slightly scarce but since I got an 03txh for $500 all inclusive, I was pretty happy.

So far, I am noticing some nice improvement over the onkyo in the low volume dept. Don't seem to lose dialog at lower volumes or lose instruments. Not that the onkyo was bad, but the pio is a noticeable, but not breathtaking, OMG, improvement.

Yeah, the gui sucks, but so did my onkyo's. Gui is not really all the intuitive at first.

Not real sure if I'll every really take full advantage of the THX stuff, it wasn't a selling point for me.

One thing I really like is the improved EQ settings and control, this will take some time to tweak fully even after mcacc is run. LFE and X-over settings are cleaner and now. Seems maybe the extra control in the EQ is allowing for better reproduction by my speakers. Again I really need more than a couple hours with it to really see where I want things set at.

We are watching Bolt BD again right now (just watched it last night with the onkyo). One thing I immediately noticed was the beginning of the movie sounded better on the pio, what struck me is how the fireworks over the disney castle sounded (the DTS-MA one, not the DD one). That was one that immediately caught my attention. Also the beginning after she picks out the puppy, the LFE and bass were handled much better IMO with the pio.

And last but not least, of course the wife likes the built in iPod USB port/control. Instead of buying a dedicated dock, it's a built in feature.

your experience so far is very similar to mine. once you have everything perfectly calibrated i'm sure you'll be a bit more impressed. especially at higher volumes. It'll be a fun next few days for you buddy. enjoy!!!! :up

one more thing. even after you run the mcacc setup, if you're as picky as I am you'll end up making some adjustments manually. ;)

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'll be messing with the auto mcacc settings even after running the setup. The stock settings and my minor adjustments are yielding nice results and noticeable improvements. There's just so much more to tweak it's gonna take some time to get it dialed in the way I like it.
Thanks for the input.

As far as the Denon coupon, I should clarify that it was two weeks ago when I tried, so maybe its done.

Glad to hear you are liking it. I love the fireworks bang on Disney when its cranked, sounds real good.

Ive found, that with the Denon/Audyssey 6 position setup, I dont make any changes. Thats following the AVS steps for Audyssey, dunno if they have one for the PIO setup.

Weird, I got it to work this time not that it matters now. I'm pretty impressed with the pioneer so far, especially for the price. Specs wise, the 2 are close, but I am now seeing why people are die hard pioneer fans.

I wonder if it's one of those 6ave coupons they routinely take in and out of the system. I've seen that a few times with them.

Rey, I've done some searching, but can't find a definitive answer... I notice that on the pio, the display will show "Dial Norm" for dialogue normalization with different volume adjustments amounts (like -2, or -4, -5) etc. I know it's part of dolby TrueHD and such, but have you found a way to turn it off or adjust what it does?

Weird, I got it to work this time not that it matters now. I'm pretty impressed with the pioneer so far, especially for the price. Specs wise, the 2 are close, but I am now seeing why people are die hard pioneer fans.

I wonder if it's one of those 6ave coupons they routinely take in and out of the system. I've seen that a few times with them.

Rey, I've done some searching, but can't find a definitive answer... I notice that on the pio, the display will show "Dial Norm" for dialogue normalization with different volume adjustments amounts (like -2, or -4, -5) etc. I know it's part of dolby TrueHD and such, but have you found a way to turn it off or adjust what it does?

hey chief,

i'll take a look when i get home today. i know what you're talking about. the dialog normalization feature adjusts itself depending on what the receiver is decoding. I believe it can be turned off but i need to confirm this at home tonight. i'll post back the results.

yeah, I searched the manual, they talk about it, but maybe I am just overlookig the setting to turn it off or adjust it.

yeah, I searched the manual, they talk about it, but maybe I am just overlookig the setting to turn it off or adjust it.

I just read that the dialog enhancement mode can be turned off. I'm not in front of the receiver so I can't tell you how. I'll check it out for you this evening. The setting is under DIALOG E ON/OFF

try to look under audio parameters while a movie is on. some of these settings are not available while listening to other sources