pioneer tv 510 cant be made into full screen

stevemcb

Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
I have a pioneer 510 and I cant get it to stretch to full size on digital ota channels help

Welcome!
Is it just OTA? Or all SD channels?

You must be talking about HD OTA channels. When these channels broadcast SD programs, your local broadcasters add those black bars on each side, and these bars are broadcast as part of the image. Since neither VOOM STB, nor your TV set can change geometry of HD signal, you are stuck with that! The only solution for you is to switch to 480i mode when you are watching those upconverted programs and then your TV set should be able to zoom/stretch... Not very convenient, I know, but I doubt there is anything else you can do.

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
why is it that USA, TNT, ABC, Sci-fi and most of the other SD channels don't have black bars on the sides?

Because these are output as SD from the STB, because the source is SD. Local OTA channels, however, may be "upconverted" by the local carrier and sent as HD signals containing black bars. Then the box is displaying the entire picture, which happens to now contain black bars to the right and left of the picture.

That's right. The problem is only with HD channels because they are always 16x9. You can see the same effect on HBO-HD or Starz-HD when they show SD programs. ESPN-HD adds gray bars instead of black bars, and TNT-HD prefers to stretch everything.

thanks guys my old system(direct and samsung system) let me use my widen mode to get a full pix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts