VOOM box hangs on boot screen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Harbinger

Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
I rescued a Voom DSR550 from the trashmen last January. (I found it sitting curbside, stopped the car, grabbed it.) It had been sitting in a light rain, so I opened the unit, dried it as best I could with paper towels, then used a hairdryer and blew it dry. Afterward I waited almost two weeks before turning it on.

It worked! I was able to see local channels and I played with the box a while before disconnecting it and putting it away until last week. I hooked it back up and powered it on, only to have it hang at the Voom logo and "Please wait..." message. The unit when started does perform the light cycling on the front panel's right side about six or seven times before stopping.

I'd hooked it up before using the composite a/v RCA jacks on the back panel. This time I first tried hooking it to a 19" LCD with a DVI cable. When that didn't work I went back to the composite connectors with no change.

I've popped the case back off and looked around...nothing seems corroded or broken. The card slot seems fine, and I removed/reinserted the card several times to clean the contacts just to make sure.

I wonder if, perhaps, the coin cell backup battery has started to go bad and needs replacing? That will be tricky to do. I'd want to replace the soldered-in battery with a battery holder for future replacements, and I image I'd have to do that with the power connected. (Otherwise the internal memory that the battery keeps alive will clear, and that might mean the activation data would go with it.)

Any thoughts, suggestions? I've tried multiple soft reboots and several hard (1 minute power button presses) reboots with no change.

Last edited:
Reboot button...?

Do you mean the button behind the front panel door? I thought that was for changing the resolution output to the monitor...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)