Pioneer vs Yamaha Questions/Models

Here are my results, highlighted area is what Im thinking are the best settings...

untitled-11.jpg

Well, just got done listening to Pirates 4 at 0.0 dB. It was a pretty good test IMO and very musical, and boy did it sound good. I seem to be hearing more out of my rears, and Im not sure why because the Marantz and Denon have the same Audyssey setup. Regardless, each channel is clear and crisp and handled loud volumes well. I checked the temp after the 2hr and 15min run, and it wasnt really hot at all, good sign.

Very happy with it's sound.

Im using EQ 2 with 2 Ports Open (Green), and Q of 0.5 (Red). 0.7 of course has more dB, but it starts to get on the droning boomy side, and thats what I left behind with the Klipsch. 0.5 tightens things up and leaves headroom in the real bass heavy scenes at loud volume. There was a lot of music in Pirates 4, and man the sub sounded great. There was a couple of times when the music kicked off from quiet and startled me for a sec. This thing flat kills the sound of the Sub-12, and it's a shame because it was $50 more than the HSU when I bought it...

Here are charts with the SPL corrections for low hz. I sent them to HSU and they said they looked good for in home results.

Different modes
modecharts.jpg

Different Q's
qcharts.jpg

Love it. Runs at a good temp when pushed, sounds great, no handshake issues. Pirates 4 was a good test, and I had it cranked the entire movie. Im not sure why, but like I said, each channel seems to be more distinguished and clear. maybe its the higher power/better amps. It's Audyssey MultiEq ended up with different results for my rears, and they sound better now too. Not sure why that is, because the Denon has the same Audyssey, and I run setup the same way every time.

I really like the Marantz, too. It has always worked flawlessly, and the sound is spectacular. I don't regret getting the 2112 though instead of the discontinued 6005.

S~

I think it, a long with my HSU will make their way into the theater room when it get's built. It's 7.1 and has two SW out's, which is perfect since I plan on adding a 2nd HSU then too.

Ok, so my plan is to have 2 subs when I do the PJ room, and i was wondering if going to a 5.2 system now would help my sound out. I assume it would, i was thinking about picking up a 2nd HSU as my BDay present. The room layout is 12x22, and the 2nd sub would HAVE to go on the other side of the display, just as the first one is to the right of it.

Opinions?

untitled-2.jpg

Classic wisdom is one in center front, one in center back of the room, or opposite midwall on the sides.

Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Nice link, this image and explanation spells it out for me:

Figure 1c. 1/4 W Placement
Although this isn't spelled out in the CEA recommendation, Dr. Toole references it in his book as a good solution for two subwoofers but suggests additional subwoofers may be needed. In my experience I've had excellent results placing two subs against the front wall at locations of 1/4 the room width. I've had even better results placing two additional subs in a similar manner against the back wall. This configuration can achieve nearly as good frequency response performance as the 4 Corner placement with nearly as much bass gain as well.

I spoke with HSU, I think Im gonna add the second sub early next year. Also been doing some looking. I think when I set the new room up, I'm going to use the preouts on the Marantz and go for a Emotiva XPA-5, or whatever they are selling at that point. I'd look into an amp next year too, I just dont have the room for it. I also may end up using the Marantz in my living room, and getting something else. I think whatever I use for the pre out, needs to have Audyssey MultEq XT.

Seems the proper Audyssey setup for two subs and MultiEQ (6 point), is to run a y adapter out of one sub out, then run a cable to each sub. The subs then need to be set at the same gain and positioned equidistant from the center listening position.