PIP - remote control functionality

shetaan819

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
San Francisco
Does anyone else find the fact that we have to physically walk up to the DVR to change the 'single/dual' tuner mode on the DVR just to enable PIP functionality to be absolutely ridiculous..?! (I have the VIP722)

I can't stand watching commercials and I'd used to use this all the time when I had cable...I'd seriously consider leaving Dish just for this alone...

Being able to record two shows AND having PIP should be the most basic of functionalities in my opinion....at least if they can't enable both at one time, at least give us a button on the remote to be able to toggle the functionality..!

Does anyone know of a Dish DVR that does/did have this functionality via the remote control ?

I agree that it would be great to be able to switch between modes via the remote or via a submenu even. Man, we're lazy aren't we.

the majority of cable customers with the familiar motorola boxes don't get PiP at all. I know I didn't with my old company. if you have a DVR, just never start anything on time and skip the commercials... problem solved

You do know that single mode does not prevent you from recording multiple events at the same time don't you?

While on the subject of PIP..can someone answer this for me:

How do you 'cancel' a PIP window? The only way I've found is very annoying by cycling through the small..medium..side-by-side..then back to the beginning.

Surely there is a way to remove the PIP without going through that. Seems like a simple 'cancel' should work but it doesn't.

Am I overlooking something simple? The fact I can't PIP and "un-PIP" with one button is driving me batty.

You do know that single mode does not prevent you from recording multiple events at the same time don't you?

Pepper, when in single mode, can it still record two shows at one time ?

In that case, what is the advantage of dual mode - is that just for the additional TVs in the house?

Anyways, just to report back, Pepper's suggestion did work, I can have the functionality to record two shows and have PIP in single mode. Also, viewing television on a second tv also works just fine however if something is recording on TV2 ,the second tv would be stuck watching that...

With dual mode you can independently record on two televisions....

Anyways, just to report back, Pepper's suggestion did work, I can have the functionality to record two shows and have PIP in single mode. Also, viewing television on a second tv also works just fine however if something is recording on TV2 ,the second tv would be stuck watching that...

The reason they may not have that function on the remote is to aviod having tv#2/tuner#2 from changing channels while someone is watching/recording on it. If you have a 2nd tv and someone is watching/recording on it in a seperate area of the home - they wouldn't be to keen if someone just kept hitting the mode button and screwing up their show.

In short - I could see some problems with having the button - though it would be nice if people were smart about it. My guess is that they have a good reason, since it is such a simple button push to change modes.

Also, viewing television on a second tv also works just fine however if something is recording on TV2 ,the second tv would be stuck watching that...
No, you can just change the channel on the second TV to whatever you have TV1 modulated to. With the 622 and 722 TV1 can be modulated on 1 channel while TV 2 is modulated on another channel

You don't record on televisions, you record on tuners. What is being output to the televisions is separate from what is being recorded. This is easy to mix up, but a very important distinction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts